• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Results of the public sector consultation is up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    MFI
    Made for idiots?
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      For once I agree with

IPSE have to be a little careful how they respond, but to be fair in the past they have told the Government in no uncertain terms they are being stupidly misguided while maintaining a dialogue. definitely one for the experts I think
      I don't expect a full answer - but a holding statement would be nice as I actually have no idea whether they are throwing the towel in, focusing on private sector (as the last message nodded to) or doing something.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        I don't expect a full answer - but a holding statement would be nice as I actually have no idea whether they are throwing the towel in, focusing on private sector (as the last message nodded to) or doing something.
        They are definitely doing something. But go to their home page and scroll down a bit past the grinning nancies and the join us blurb. You can see what they are thinking.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Exactly this. Should it be Woolworths or BHS for these 5% off vouchers ?
          See what I mean about negativity? Ignore the reality of a very serious situation and focus on some totally irrelevant detail.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
            So they send a holding statement out and everyone slates them for a crap response. If you know it's not a full response and therefore no real use why do you want one. Waste of everyone's time.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Yes. These arguments are the same as back in 1999/2000 when IR35 was introduced. The idea of claiming for employment rights (aka the Nuclear Option) was also mooted then, as way of encouraging clients and agents to write contracts outside IR35. IIRC it was even tried and it failed (HP were the end client?). Employment law has changed since then, so maybe it is time for another try.
              AIUI, it was tried and succeeded (HP rings a bell too). Success being defence of the IR35 investigation, the employment tribunal was lost.

I'm not sure it deserves to be called a "Nuclear Option", being conducted on a case by case basis. The idea is that responding to an IR35 investigation by conducting [and failing to win] an employment tribunal against the client 1) is then evidence in defence at the IR35 tribunal, 2) focuses the client in their response to HMRC 'fact' finding, 3) client behaviour, more widely, is guided seeing this as a contractor's de-facto response.

The real "Nuclear Option" is what we are seeing unfolding right now in the PS and the potential (union backed) response to that.

Comment

I'm pretty flabbergasted by some people's attitude TBH. Join unions? Reporting losses? You are contractors for ****s sake. PS roles are just another gig. You just go find another one or take it if it gets you off the benche/training/logistics. It's only short term and you are back a proper gig.

It's not good don't get me wrong but why are some people acting like its the end of their contracting career?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm pretty flabbergasted by some people's attitude TBH. Join unions? Reporting losses? You are contractors for ****s sake. PS roles are just another gig. You just go find another one or take it if it gets you off the benche/training/logistics. It's only short term and you are back a proper gig.

It's not good don't get me wrong but why are some people acting like its the end of their contracting career?
                  If you're in an inside IR35 PS gig for the whole 12 months of your financial year and need PI/PLI and an accountant, pray tell how you report a profit.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    For some it might be.
                    I've only worked once in the PS (NHS NPfIT) and all the contractors were just permies on more cash.

That gravy train may be at the terminal station.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      For some it might be.
                      I've only worked once in the PS (NHS NPfIT) and all the contractors were just permies on more cash.

That gravy train may be at the terminal station.
                      I guess it's the appetite for more cash versus permie benefits. If you can get a good day rate close to home, why not take home 5-6 grand a month instead of 2-3 grand?
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X