• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two Person Ltd - one half mainly focused on public sector - one not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first post so go easy on me.

I am in the same position too with my wife about to take a public sector role

I don't see any reason why you can't operate public sector and non-public sector contracts using the same limited company. The corporation tax etc can be sorted out

The only problem I can see is if you have a 50/50 share split like we do (where you would ideally do low salary/high dividend for both directors) then you are a bit stuffed in allocating dividends as one director is being forced to take a very high salary and dividends obviously need to be equal.

If my wife puts most of her post tax invoice value into a pension whilst in the public sector will this work? I realise that this will have to be done personally so you won't be able to claw back the NI. But this should at least get her salary down.

I don't really want to change the share structure yet as this may only be a 3 months public sector contract and we may never do public sector again (hopefully!)

Comment

tbh We've opted out of the problem, my OH has taken a perm role (with one of the big service companies who'll no doubt be now mopping up the work contractors use to do), decent offer though and local.

Comment

Surely your accountant is your first stop for a question like this?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X