• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's changed - FAQ

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employees NI and income tax will be withheld from the payment and the agency will forward that to HMRC on your behalf.

Income tax assessed on a week/month 1 basis - therefore 40% for the majority from Invoice 1?

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
      Employees NI and income tax will be withheld from the payment and the agency will forward that to HMRC on your behalf.

Income tax assessed on a week/month 1 basis - therefore 40% for the majority from Invoice 1?
      Income Tax based on the workers tax code as I understand.
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        only if proved to the agency I guess.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How will anyone know if you're on two contracts or not, until invoices are processed maybe I suppose with RTI?

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post

How will anyone know if you're on two contracts or not, until invoices are processed maybe I suppose with RTI?
            Not relevant if it's based on tax code. You'll be taxed under PAYE + Employers NI for a PS gigs based on your Tax Code, paid via your Ltd in the normal way for non-PS gigs and will have to declare and pay as appropriate on your SATR.

If you can live on the "salary" from your PS gig then the best bet would be to just leave the non-PS income in the company warchest, or use it to make pension contributions.

If you have sufficient income to live on from the non-PS gig, or a warchest sufficient to see you though the contract, you could put all the PS salary into a pension, claim tax relief on the contributions via your SATR to reduce your taxable income to £0 and pay divi's out of the company at 7% up to the lower tax limit to live on.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Does anyone have any understanding on how liability is passed up the chain?

i.e We supply a contractor to a consultancy (e.g. CSC), they then put someone onsite at the NHS.

Does the buck stop with CSC or the agency that supplied to CSC?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Not relevant if it's based on tax code. You'll be taxed under PAYE + Employers NI for a PS gigs based on your Tax Code, paid via your Ltd in the normal way for non-PS gigs and will have to declare and pay as appropriate on your SATR.

If you can live on the "salary" from your PS gig then the best bet would be to just leave the non-PS income in the company warchest, or use it to make pension contributions.

If you have sufficient income to live on from the non-PS gig, or a warchest sufficient to see you though the contract, you could put all the PS salary into a pension, claim tax relief on the contributions via your SATR to reduce your taxable income to £0 and pay divi's out of the company at 7% up to the lower tax limit to live on.
                Salary sacrifice via an umbrella would get that down to £20 a week... Pensions are really awkward here so I don't want great detail...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post

i.e We supply a contractor to a consultancy (e.g. CSC), they then put someone onsite at the NHS.

don't take this the wrong way but I don't know and being that its agency related rather than contractor related I'm not that concerned.

Hopefully Andy Hallett will pick up the question and answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post

The liability for duducting is with the payer. In the chain you descibe, that is the agency.

The liability for determination is with the Public Sector client.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                      The liability for duducting is with the payer. In the chain you descibe, that is the agency.

The liability for determination is with the Public Sector client.
                      The contractor will be paid by the consultancy (CSC in example), we then pay CSC in turn.

Comment

Working...
                      X