• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE have sent an email out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    So, if you are all in it (especially those over in the other place) for the lifestyle, why are you all whinging about a few quid in extra tax?
    As I understand it, being forced inside ir35 changes both lifestyle and taxation - you can't pay into your pension efficiently under these rules, you can't retain profit for lean times - and under these proposals you are worse off than anyone who is an employee.

But as an employee, none of this (including the dividend tax, presumably) affects you in the slightest.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Masterstroke..

Coming back to the letter, I really think that IPSE have played fire with fire with the inclusion of the possibility of 'retrospective'. Some may argue that this gives HMRC an idea but I'm pretty sure they already had it and all they need to do is read this forum as well.

This email not only scares the contractor into walking but also would concern the end client because any investigation into working practices and contract would have to involve conversations with the end client. If we are talking hundreds if not thousands then PS bodies legal teams, HR teams etc. would be involved in conversations they don't want to be having.

It may stem the tide of a blanket everyone inside approach that TfL tried to implement.

P.S I think this email will also increase members taking up IR35 insurance. Something that will soon not exist when it transfers to the end client and eventually the private sector
      Last edited by difficulttimes; 26 January 2017, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
        Coming back to the letter, I really think that IPSE have played fire with fire with the inclusion of the possibility of 'retrospective'. Some may argue that this gives HMRC an idea but I'm pretty sure they already had it and all they need to do is read this forum as well.

This email not only scares the contractor into walking but also would concern the end client because any investigation into working practices and contract would have to involve conversations with the end client. If we are talking hundreds if not thousands then PS bodies legal teams, HR teams etc. would be involved in conversations they don't want to be having.

It may stem the tide of a blanket everyone inside approach that TfL tried to implement.

P.S I think this email will also increase members taking up IR35 insurance. Something that will soon not exist when it transfers to the end client and eventually the private sector
        I'm on the fence on the fence about IPSE but this is a bit ridiculous. If anyone argues this gives HMRC an idea then they are idiots and you want to stop talking to them.

Also about scaring a contractor, if it does hit everyone will be moaning IPSE didn't tell them. It's a possibility it's unknown and no one can discount it so it would be remiss of IPSE to not mention it.

You don't get any communication you complain, you get it and you complain (rather badly). They just can't win.

Are you an IPSE member?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 January 2017, 08:23.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          As I understand it, being forced inside ir35 changes both lifestyle and taxation - you can't pay into your pension efficiently under these rules, you can't retain profit for lean times - and under these proposals you are worse off than anyone who is an employee.

But as an employee, none of this (including the dividend tax, presumably) affects you in the slightest.
          Errr, no. You will still be able to move from job to job or take time off or all the other life style choices. Just pay more tax, which apparently, isn't a life style issue at all. Mind you, when asked over there how many of them voluntarily pay the extra tax for being IR 35 caught, you are met with silence. Cake and eat it, anyone?
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            The expenses issue is a different one made especially hard by the fact most umbrellas were not playing fair (read outright abusing and ignoring) with the existing rules and were allowing clients to claim travel expenses from home when the umbrella was being used for a single contract. That abuse of what are fairly easy to understand rules meant arguing against the rule was incredibly difficult (believe me I watched umbrellas try in person). (FB - Edited the quote)
            Be careful using arguments like that. The bit I highlighted is EXACTLY the same argument that is being used to reinforce the application of IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I'm on the fence on the fence about IPSE but this is a bit ridiculous. If anyone argues this gives HMRC an idea then they are idiots and you want to stop talking to them.

Also about scaring a contractor, if it does hit everyone will be moaning IPSE didn't tell them. It's a possibility it's unknown and no one can discount it so it would be remiss of IPSE to not mention it.

You don't get any communication you complain, you get it and you complain (rather badly). They just can't win.
              There will be NO retrospection. HMRC do NOT have the resources. Fact.

Comment

There will be NO retrospection. HMRC do NOT have the resources. Fact.
                I wonder how many people would have said something like that about PS bodies putting all contractors inside IR35 not so long ago.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  He wasn't suggesting this, eek suggested it in an earlier post.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Be careful using arguments like that. The bit I highlighted is EXACTLY the same argument that is being used to reinforce the application of IR35.
                    HMRC have many contractors working for them so they only need to look around their own department to make up arguments.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      HMRC have many contractors working for them so they only need to look around their own department to make up arguments.
                      I suspect come April the tense will be had.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X