• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector or Not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the purposes of the IR35 'reforms', public sector is defined as bodies who are subject to the FOI act, so RBS is out of scope.

Comment

Originally posted by londonlad View Post
      Hi All

Is there a list somewhere to identify which organisation falls under public sector?

The reason for the question is I have been put forward by the agent to couple of organisation for new role. The agent did mention that it's not public sector but I don't want to take his word at face value.

Pls can someone guide me to the right place...

Thanks
      Be careful believing agents. I've had a few now who've told me clients and I've said "thats public sector isn't it?" and every time they've said no we dont think it is.

Upon checking each time they were on list.

Either agents are stupid or, more likely, they've been told not to mention the PS issue, or work around it, because they KNOW it will put people off.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Be careful believing agents. I've had a few now who've told me clients and I've said "thats public sector isn't it?" and every time they've said no we dont think it is.

Upon checking each time they were on list.

Either agents are stupid or, more likely, they've been told not to mention the PS issue, or work around it, because they KNOW it will put people off.
        +1 The few roles I've discussed with agents when I queried it they responded with their roles are exempt from the new PS rules, blatant lies
        Last edited by SlipTheJab; 13 February 2017, 16:09.

Comment

Well, my understanding is that it's down to the agent to bear the responsibility. If they definitively say that, "No it's outside." it's their problem to sort out if it is.

I wouldn't want to be the test case though, or having to fight them suddenly holding back huge chunks of cash in lieu of back tax in court.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Well, my understanding is that it's down to the agent to bear the responsibility. If they definitively say that, "No it's outside." it's their problem to sort out if it is.

I wouldn't want to be the test case though, or having to fight them suddenly holding back huge chunks of cash in lieu of back tax in court.
            That's proper head in the sand thinking that is.
            If the agent gets it wrong they have also got a lot of tulip to deal with and it's still gonna be your income that takes the hit.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

... which is why I qualified it.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                ... which is why I qualified it.
                you won't be a test case either.
                If you're deemed inside (by the client) after April the agency will withhold the deemed tax (they will be legally obliged).
                Unless you've got serious pots of cash you're not going to be able to make it a test case.
                You can take it to court if you wish but IMO you'll be wasting your own time and money.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  you won't be a test case either.
                  If you're deemed inside (by the client) after April the agency will withhold the deemed tax (they will be legally obliged).
                  Unless you've got serious pots of cash you're not going to be able to make it a test case.
                  You can take it to court if you wish but IMO you'll be wasting your own time and money.
                  Yep. It's obvious they are just saying this to catch out the unwary contractor with the knowledge that once they have you signed up post April you will most likely accept your lot and carry on under PAYE/Brolly, I imagine they are desperate to fill these roles before more contractors become aware of whats going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Yep. It's obvious they are just saying this to catch out the unwary contractor with the knowledge that once they have you signed up post April you will most likely accept your lot and carry on under PAYE/Brolly, I imagine they are desperate to fill these roles before more contractors become aware of whats going to happen.
                    I don't think anyone is 'just saying this' though. It's clearly written in the new rules. The onus now is up to the client bodies to understand and interpret the new rules correctly. If done so then I expect a load of roles that should always have been inside to be classed as inside. And a handful of the roles that have always been outside to be classed as such.
                    I expect some that probably ought to be outside, to be classed inside though, but I doubt that any legal fight will help as the rules are for the 'PS body to make a decision', not necessarily for the PS body to make the right decision.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
                      For the purposes of the IR35 'reforms', public sector is defined as bodies who are subject to the FOI act, so RBS is out of scope.
                      Thank you for actually answering the point.

Comment

Working...
                      X