• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential public sector contractor at renewal time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I imagine win is not the best word. No one wins dragging people through so much crap even if it comes to nothing if you get my meaning.
    Agreed. But it would be nice to know the outcome.
    (Most people who "win" seem to report that HRMC reluctantly concede that they will not pursue it further, but without admitting you're in the clear)

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
      Agreed. But it would be nice to know the outcome.
      (Most people who "win" seem to report that HRMC reluctantly concede that they will not pursue it further, but without admitting you're in the clear)
      Indeed. With so little evidence of actual IR35 investigation it would be very good feedback.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I imagine win is not the best word. No one wins dragging people through so much crap even if it comes to nothing if you get my meaning.
        yeah you never win, I had 3+ years of mental torture and ruined weekends with numerous pages hmrc inspector letters landing on my doorstep most Fridays. Abbeytax were fantastic and guided me through, with hmrc pulling out at tribunal stage without giving reasons. As close to win as you ever really get

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWorld View Post
          yeah you never win, I had 3+ years of mental torture and ruined weekends with numerous pages hmrc inspector letters landing on my doorstep most Fridays. Abbeytax were fantastic and guided me through, with hmrc pulling out at tribunal stage without giving reasons. As close to win as you ever really get
          Fecking ridiculous. I believe I read somewhere that they have been taken to task about that and are concluding cases more quickly. Good to hear the experts did a good job for you. Well worth having insurance IMO.

Comment

Fecking ridiculous. I believe I read somewhere that they have been taken to task about that and are concluding cases more quickly. Good to hear the experts did a good job for you. Well worth having insurance IMO.
            Yes, pcg membership as it was then was critical along with business in own right factors such as marketing materials, insurances etc in making it very hard for them to conclude inside ir35, but they had a damn good go, and put me through it. Ironically the penalties and interest they wanted me to pay grew each year it went on, which was galling as it was them dragging the case/timescales out into years

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWorld View Post
              Yes, pcg membership as it was then was critical along with business in own right factors such as marketing materials, insurances etc in making it very hard for them to conclude inside ir35, but they had a damn good go, and put me through it. Ironically the penalties and interest they wanted me to pay grew each year it went on, which was galling as it was them dragging the case/timescales out into years
              I thought applying penalties was unusual?

Comment

I thought applying penalties was unusual?
                Penalties are applied if they think you wilfully withheld tax due rather than made an honest mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X