• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Advice

I made my linkedin profile active yesterday so its searchable for agencies.

Within about 30 minutes had an email and a follow up phone from an agency in about a role. I spoke to the guy and realised its for a company that has links to where i work currently as someone I worked with until September last year moved there.

I mentioned her name and he said its who hes dealing with and asked me not to contact her.

He hasn't got the job description yet and it sounds like the role is still awaiting sign off at some level

Would you contact her? we had a good working relationship and I'd work with her no problem but don't want to look like I'm being a bit shifty but at same time don't want to miss out if the agency isnt actually representing them and just trying to get in there.

The agency havent asked me to sign up with them\declare I will only go with their agency for the role.

What would you do?
    Last edited by philo; 1 March 2017, 08:48.

Unless you know them very well I'd be tempted just follow the normal flow for now. Just having a passing relationship with that person isn't really going to hold any weight and are absolutely sure it will work in your favour? If they think highly of you she'll spot you and make the right noises anyway.

You'll know how good that relationship is so guess it's down to you to make a judgement call on how welcome a quick note on LinkedIn would go down.

If it goes further and details are getting firmed up the situation could change and a quick hello on LinkedIn might not go amiss.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 March 2017, 09:06.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you haven't signed with the agency and have no affiliation with or obligation's to them then you wouldn't be doing anything wrongly in approaching your contact directly.

They may tell you to go through the agency though if they have a contract with them but, if you don't try, you won't know.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Unless you know them very well I'd be tempted just follow the normal flow for now. Just having a passing relationship with that person isn't really going to hold any weight and are absolutely sure it will work in your favour? If they think highly of you she'll spot you and make the right noises anyway.

You'll know how good that relationship is so guess it's down to you to make a judgement call on how welcome a quick note on LinkedIn would go down.

If it goes further and details are getting firmed up the situation could change and a quick hello on LinkedIn might not go amiss.
        I've worked with them and had a decent working relationship. Already connected on LinkedIn. I'm more wary that this agency might be fishing for roles and not actually representing the company so concerned I might miss out on an interview if they deal mainly with another agency.

But don't want to look like I am trying to sneak in the back door. The person we are talking about still comes into this office as the new role will deal with various public sector clients so might even see face to face over the next week.

Comment

The answer to this is very simple:

You state that you have a prior working relationship with the hiring manager and that you will have a chat to see if its worth them putting you forward. You also state that you will be happy to work with the agency should they be able to get your CV in front of the person that you know.

This stops them from bottom sifting to go and find a dozen guys cheaper than you and ensures your CV goes in the frame. Also remember not all agencies are marked as equal and you may have 2 or more other agencies in between you.

So taking control of the situation is in your favour.

Comment

If as you say you had a good working relationship with her and you know her well enough to talk directly to I would contact her and ask her for the heads up on the role and if X agency have anything to do with it and you could also ask her not to mention your conversation with the agency

If they are genuinely going to put you forward for the role there should be no issue.

The agent is probably worried you could go direct and he gets cut out of the loop or he's concerned you will find out how much the rate is and he won't be able to knock you down

Comment

Originally posted by philo View Post
              I've worked with them and had a decent working relationship. Already connected on LinkedIn. I'm more wary that this agency might be fishing for roles and not actually representing the company so concerned I might miss out on an interview if they deal mainly with another agency.

But don't want to look like I am trying to sneak in the back door. The person we are talking about still comes into this office as the new role will deal with various public sector clients so might even see face to face over the next week.
              As the others below this have said then. If you are going to see her face to face then double bargain! Quick note asking if they want to go for a coffee to discuss further opportunities. That's business.

I thought you were talking some random that you've crossed passed with a couple of times and just sit on your linkedin list.

Sounds like just the time to put your salesmans hat on and get the coffees in

Comment

One word of caution - many companies have an HR policy that referrals from line managers for people they know (or know about) are often blocked. It does no harm to make your case directly, but recruitment may well be forced back through the usual channels.

I've suffered this myself. A programme director I've worked with previously asked that I apply for a role he needed me for since he had to keep out of the loop. The CV never reached his desk; someone in Human Remains thought I was insufficiently qualified for the role in question. He had no authority to challenge, much less reverse, that decision.

Then again, from what I've seen of that client more recently, I perhaps had a lucky escape!
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Then again, from what I've seen of that client more recently, I perhaps had a lucky escape!
                  Yes they did

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    One word of caution - many companies have an HR policy that referrals from line managers for people they know (or know about) are often blocked. It does no harm to make your case directly, but recruitment may well be forced back through the usual channels.

I've suffered this myself. A programme director I've worked with previously asked that I apply for a role he needed me for since he had to keep out of the loop. The CV never reached his desk; someone in Human Remains thought I was insufficiently qualified for the role in question. He had no authority to challenge, much less reverse, that decision.
                    In a team I was working on a couple of years ago we wanted a QA. The guy recommended to us CV never appeared in the first batch of CVs. We only managed to get it from HR when the two best on paper candidates did no shows on interviews. We had to specifically ask for his CV, and then were interrogated on why the other CVs were no good. The only reason we didn't get his CV in the first batch was due to his writing style.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X