• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will it work itself out in the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pictavia View Post
    I hope so.

If a manager has a distinct IT project he/she can outsource to a freelancer, then why not go out to tender? PSBs would need to be clear that they are looking for a service and not an individual to bash C# code in their IT department.

I generally agree with the rationale for the changes, there's way too much disguised employment out there but HMRC's implementation has been expensive and disruptive.

No reason why agencies can't sell proper business to business contracts, but they need to be kept completely separate from their employment businesses and advertised on dedicated boards.
    They do.

Eek nicely puts posts up telling you when you can join suitable PS marketplaces.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      The good news is that bobs can't come over for contracts without being sponsored; but how low could Wipro/Infosys go in matching contractor rates?
      But there are plenty of companies whose sole purpose seems to be to sponsor bobs and push them on to the contract market. Had loads of contracting bobs at a PS contract I did a few years back.

Also had a CV through from a contracting bob who had set up a LtdCo on the back of his spousal visa. His missus had the tier 2 visa, no doubt with Infosys or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        They do.

Eek nicely puts posts up telling you when you can join suitable PS marketplaces.
        And I did yesterday

You can now apply to offer your cloud services to government through the G-Cloud 9 framework. The deadline for applications is 5pm (BST) on 11 April 2017.*

https://www.digitalmarketplace.service.gov.uk
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          And the consultancies will bring in contractors / offshore resources to deliver the same thing.

I watched a consultancy take over a PS project some years back, keep all the contractors (brought in new management at the top and a new permie team lead in each section) and add £7 million onto the project bill in one go.
          Governments (mainly the Tories) are bank rolled by big business including the none tax paying big 5 consultancies. If the government was so concerned why are they dismantling workers rights and allowing, almost unregulated low wage gig economies.

Comment

Which reminds me g-cloud 12 is now open for registration.

useful if you can package up what you do into a managed / packaged solution rather than just days of work.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
            X