• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SIPP pensions & IR35 changes for public sector Ltd co. Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIPP pensions & IR35 changes for public sector Ltd co. Contractors

I am in my 60s with a occupational pension and I have recently been working on a part time public sector contract through my own limited company. The company runs at a slight loss, on my contractors accountants advice. I have never paid myself a wage, so I have not needed to pay income tax or N I, as all the contracting income has been paid into my SIPP. Can I continue to legitimately do this once the responsibility for deducting income tax moves to the recruiting agency that pays me in April 2017?

Originally posted by Bowgreave View Post
    I am in my 60s with a occupational pension and I have recently been working on a part time public sector contract through my own limited company. The company runs at a slight loss, on my contractors accountants advice. I have never paid myself a wage, so I have not needed to pay income tax or N I, as all the contracting income has been paid into my SIPP. Can I continue to legitimately do this once the responsibility for deducting income tax moves to the recruiting agency that pays me in April 2017?
    Well it will depend on whether you are inside or outside IR35. If outside there is nothing to worry about.

If you are inside your problem is that your company will now receive the payments after Employers NI has been deducted and Employees NI and income tax withheld. While you will be able to reclaim the income tax bit back via self assessment the NI contributions will be lost.

My FAQ has a brief overview but its likely you will lose out - I also don't think an umbrella would help you as they do need to pay you the national living wage before anything can be paid into a pension
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If he's of pensionable age (something of a variable these days!) then EeNICs won't apply.

I've never been to clear on ErNICs though - are they still due regardless?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        If he's of pensionable age (something of a variable these days!) then EeNICs won't apply.

I've never been to clear on ErNICs though - are they still due regardless?
        Still need to be deducted see https://www.gov.uk/employee-reaches-state-pension-age (first google link). So that's a 14.3% deduction which won't be recoverable....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Still need to be deducted see https://www.gov.uk/employee-reaches-state-pension-age (first google link). So that's a 14.3% deduction which won't be recoverable....
          Yeah, thought that was the case. Ta.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Umbrella Min Wage + SIPP

Working part time through an umbrella on minimum/living wage there may be no NICs to pay depending on the number of hours.

Some umbrellas won't let you pay into your own SIPP as an Employer contribution (rather than their own plan).

Comment

Umbrella company, salary sacrifice pension with payments into a SIPP?

Does anyone know of an umbrella company that runs a salary sacrifice pension scheme and will make payments to a SIPP?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Glend167 View Post
                Does anyone know of an umbrella company that runs a salary sacrifice pension scheme and will make payments to a SIPP?

Thanks
                This looking interesting?

http://www.contractorumbrella.com/pension.html
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Thank you for your reply NLUK.

I will contact Contractor Umbrella Limited and ask if their Scottish Widows pension scheme includes a SIPP option.

Comment

"Does anyone know of an umbrella company that runs a salary sacrifice pension scheme and will make payments to a SIPP? "

PayStream? – Chris Dwyer said they would make employer contributions into a Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP for income over min. wage. Haven't tried them yet. Google them first.
                    Last edited by Jones; 10 March 2017, 10:50.

Comment

Working...
                    X