• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS 'trying not to blink'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS 'trying not to blink'

NHS is feeling the affects. Lots of articles in Health Service Journal about the immediate problem of keeping the service going, not surprisingly A&E's ( Lincoln County Hospital)

"One NHS finance director told HSJ: “It is akin to a Mexican standoff. Some locums have been asking for between 30 and 50 per cent price uplifts. More than likely we will have to pay this; it is a Hobson’s choice.....

...One consultant at a major A&E department said: “We have gaps in the rota due to locums pulling out. They are taking April and May off, waiting for market forces to increase the rate. They are asking trusts to increase the hourly rate, and they are asking agencies to cut their share of the hourly rate. It will be interesting to see who blinks first.”

"We’ve got a small number of places that are talking to us and saying this is going to be a bit difficult. We are trying to hold our nerve and not blink, but safety will drive the decisions" - Jim Mackey

Jim also said something along the lines of (and I am paraphrasing) "They shouldn't be doctors if they are going to be so naughty"

The Times picked up this story and talked about how the locum doctors were going on strike.

So every time you turn down an extension, you're not an independent professional exercising your right to choose where and when to work, you're striking
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No blinking going on here: https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/searc...716E04FB5F31A/

IT Director - NHS - E-procurement Transformation.OUTSIDE IR35*

My client in Central London are looking to hire a current/former NHS IT Director/CTO/CIO to join them in a leadership role.....

...This role has been determined by the client to be 'outside' IR35.
      Good job it's not for an office holder or anything

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        No blinking going on here: https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/searc...716E04FB5F31A/

So much for Mr Mackey's "everyone's inside regardless" dictat. Some people are more equal than others...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

An IT director is very unlikely to be an 'officer'. In an NHS organisation the officers are going to be the voting board members (not usually the IT director) plus a handful of specific medical statutory posts.

If the organisation is actively using the tool then an IT director could be ruled outside if it was considered advantageous.

Also not all of the NHS reports to MacKey

Comment

Originally posted by Finance View Post
            An IT director is very unlikely to be an 'officer'. In an NHS organisation the officers are going to be the voting board members (not usually the IT director) plus a handful of specific medical statutory posts.

If the organisation is actively using the tool then an IT director could be ruled outside if it was considered advantageous.

Also not all of the NHS reports to MacKey
            I very much doubt it in this case. There is no specific deliverable (i.e. something to be built then delivered to the end client as a fait accompli) and a requirement to work alongside and lead existing staff. May not be a substantive office per se, but it is sufficiently close to a BaU role that it would have to be caught by IR35, even if the hiring organisation is not NHS. It's the end client role that is the determining factor, not any of the intermediary ones.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              The Times picked up this story and talked about how the locum doctors were going on strike.

So every time you turn down an extension, you're not an independent professional exercising your right to choose where and when to work, you're striking
              I have just read that, it is madness. I hadn't realised I was on strike, just thought it was bench time.

Comment

The hilarious part is the pseudo-outrage about "locums holding the NHS to ransom".

Of course only HMRC have the right to hold anyone to ransom.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by LoughriggFell View Post
                  Jim also said something along the lines of (and I am paraphrasing) "They shouldn't be doctors if they are going to be so naughty"
                  Hilarious

When the tables get turned on them, they have no idea what to do or to say. It's like a blue screen of death in their brains.

I'll grab the pop corn and enjoy this show. Think it's gonna be good.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

If they are 'employees' then the NHS should just order them back to work surely.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                    X