• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Allowable expenses inside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowable expenses inside IR35

I've recently taken up a contract role with a PSB and have been deemed inside IR35. It's a near two year contract and a good day rate so was worth taking (even being inside IR35). I understand that, due to being taxed at source, I won't be eligible for the 5% expenses if I was to set-up a PSC. In all I was very confused as to whether to set-up a PSC but could see no financial benefit (although I may have a few days of commercial work later in the year) so have gone through an Umbrella (initially).

Can I reclaim any expenses if I continue to get paid through the umbrella when completing my self-assessment at financial year-end? I understand I can get tax relief on pension contributions buy when I challenged HMRC on the issue of professional development & memberships and they wouldn't give me an answer (surprise!).

All help welcome!

Thanks.

See here:
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How will this affect the money in my pocket?

What about my expenses?

That's the bad news. Apart from direct cost of materials used in performance of the services; and expenses that would have been deductible if the worker had been the client's employee, you can't claim any expenses from the company. The point has been made to Treasury and HMRC that if you have any other expenses for your company then you have no means to pay these, but there has not been any acknowledgement of this problem. If your company only does public sector work, but has to pay for mobile phones, internet, insurance, or anything else then I cannot see how the company can legally do this.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Just for clarity the link to the whole post is...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...ml#post2394879

If it's near 2 years long why don't they use an FTC?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Just for clarity the link to the whole post is...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...ml#post2394879

If it's near 2 years long why don't they use an FTC?
        Because it costs them a lot more, and the OP wouldn't have got their rate or anywhere near it but would be stuck with the non-incremented scale rate for the post.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Because it costs them a lot more, and the OP wouldn't have got their rate or anywhere near it but would be stuck with the non-incremented scale rate for the post.
          Could also be a limitation on headcount.

Comment

Could the employee (the contractor) claim their mileage through their self-assessment, getting the tax back?

ie lets says it's a 20 mile round trip and you do it 200 times in a year - 20 miles * 45 ppm * 200 days = £1800

A bit like when a company pays less than the HMRC rate, you can claim the difference against tax.

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
              Could the employee (the contractor) claim their mileage through their self-assessment, getting the tax back?

ie lets says it's a 20 mile round trip and you do it 200 times in a year - 20 miles * 45 ppm * 200 days = £1800

A bit like when a company pays less than the HMRC rate, you can claim the difference against tax.
              Quick answer - No.

HTH.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post

Inside IR35 means no travel and / or subsistence expenses. An employee couldn't claim it, so it doesn't fall into the "you can claim back what an employee can claim back" exception either.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X