• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting with HMRC

Hi

I have applied for contract opportunity with HMRC currently ... I want to know if there is any risk of previous contracts being questioned ,if I contract with them, about IR35. I am thinking about using Umbrella company even though I have a limited company and been contracting for 10 years using this ltd company...

Please let me know your thoughts on this as currently its upto employer to take taxes and check IR35 status..

Thanks

If you haven't previously worked for a Public Sector Body you should be as safe as the rest of us.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have HMRC confirmed whether you are caught by IR35

Comment

Originally posted by dotcom12 View Post
        Have HMRC confirmed whether you are caught by IR35
        No, but the job is already advertised that its within IR35...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          If you haven't previously worked for a Public Sector Body you should be as safe as the rest of us.
          I have worked for public sector organisations before ..

Comment

Originally posted by vinovinom View Post
            No, but the job is already advertised that its within IR35...
            Make sure you include a big rate increase. I was approached by an agent recently for a front end dev role at HMRC (either London or Leeds, my choice) and they were paying 50%-75% premium on day rates as it was caught inside IR35. Seriously thought about it, as it was a 2 year project, and 6 figure take home after tax, but am in current project til September anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
              Make sure you include a big rate increase. I was approached by an agent recently for a front end dev role at HMRC (either London or Leeds, my choice) and they were paying 50%-75% premium on day rates as it was caught inside IR35. Seriously thought about it, as it was a 2 year project, and 6 figure take home after tax, but am in current project till September anyway.
              Many thanks... I am trying to find out how much more in percentage should I charge to get the same net amount as before ?

Comment

25 to 30% seems to be the figure banded about.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Thanks a lot..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    As I've stated before, every case needs to consider what their increase needs to be.

25 to 30% is a figure bandied about by those that are just picking a number out of the air, and because people keep saying "25-30%" then that figure perpetuates.

If you have a high rate and little to no expenses then 25%-30% is possibly reasonable; if you have a low rate and little to no expenses then it becomes less reasonable, and if you have a low rate and high expenses then 30% is way too low. I've spoken to people where they would earn more by increasing by 25% than they do now, and I've spoken to people where increasing by 60% wouldn't cover their losses.

The range that needs to increase is more likely in the range 25-75% - without any more details it's impossible to give any meaningful advice on what people should increase their rate by.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X