• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under IR35 - Capita is charging me Apprenticeship Levy Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why is this thread in General?
    I used to think General (as it is under the Contracting category) was for general contracting questions not covered by the other forums, and that the Social forums covered all the fun stuff. That said, this really should be under Accounting / Legal.

Comment

The title and a quick scan of the posts should have cleared that up in seconds. They should rename General Bantz or something though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Probably the easiest thing is to pay the 0.5%, give notice to terminate the contract and offer to start a new contract with an additional 0.5025% on the day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Probably the easiest thing is to pay the 0.5%, give notice to terminate the contract and offer to start a new contract with an additional 3% on the day rate.
          FTFY - if they can try it on, why not the contractor?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Another option is to knock off 2 1/4 minutes early every day.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              BTW - your post implies you are putting the invoicing/receipts through your Ltd Co. How are you accounting for the VAT discrepancy between what you charge and what you receive? I asked my accountant and he didn't know!
              Thanks, I wasn't aware of any discrepancy. I'll raise it with my accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonswork View Post
                Thanks, I wasn't aware of any discrepancy. I'll raise it with my accountant.
                Ignore me, see Eek's post which cleared it up:

Originally posted by eek View Post
                There is no VAT discrepancy -> you bill £2000 with £400 VAT on top and you receive £400 in VAT.

The issue is that you don't receive £2000 in payment alongside that £400 in VAT. You only get £1200 of it (rough guesstimate figure) with the rest withhold or paid on your behalf by the agency....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  First question who is paying you personally... To answer your question we need to know the contract hierarchy:-

public sector client -> Capita -> ???? -> ???? (either your company / umbrella) --> you
                  Structure is: Public Sector Client -> Capita -> My LTD Company -> Me

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonswork View Post
                    Structure is: Public Sector Client -> Capita -> My LTD Company -> Me
                    Capita are therefore deducting the appropriate payments as the levy is based on employers NI payments and Capita is responsible for paying the employers NI part of your IR35 payments. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-apprenticeship-levy for the rules on how the apprenticeship levy is paid

As an employer, you’ll have to pay Apprenticeship Levy each month from 6 April 2017 if you:

Your annual pay bill is all payments to employees that are subject to employer Class 1 secondary National Insurance contributions (NICs) such as wages, bonuses and commissions.
                    And to avoid any avoidance lets show how an IR35 contract is now paid:-

Employers NI deducted from the invoice and paid by the agency directly
                    Employees NI paid on your behalf by the agency
                    Income Tax paid on your behalf by the agency
                    Last edited by eek; 18 May 2017, 10:35.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Why is this thread in General?
                      Moved.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X