• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under IR35 - Capita is charging me Apprenticeship Levy Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under IR35 - Capita is charging me Apprenticeship Levy Tax

I'm a contractor working for a goverment agency and Capita is handling my billing. I've been forced under IR35. Capita is now taking out of my day rate the apprentiship levy tax at .5%. This is only required by companies with a payroll over 3million. My company does not have a payroll of over 3m, So this must be Capitas Tax. Is this even legal to pass on a tax? they say it is a ccs policy that I pay for Capita's tax? I also don't get any of the benefits or rebates.

Originally posted by nelsonswork View Post
    I'm a contractor working for a goverment agency and Capita is handling my billing. I've been forced under IR35. Capita is now taking out of my day rate the apprentiship levy tax at .5%. This is only required by companies with a payroll over 3million. My company does not have a payroll of over 3m, So this must be Capitas Tax. Is this even legal to pass on a tax? they say it is a ccs policy that I pay for Capita's tax? I also don't get any of the benefits or rebates.
    What does your contract say?

Comment

Capita, as your faux employer, has a turnover that means the levy is chargeable. Whether they pay it, you pay it, or the PSB pays it depends on your contract.

BTW - your post implies you are putting the invoicing/receipts through your Ltd Co. How are you accounting for the VAT discrepancy between what you charge and what you receive? I asked my accountant and he didn't know!

Comment

First question who is paying you personally... To answer your question we need to know the contract hierarchy:-

public sector client -> Capita -> ???? -> ???? (either your company / umbrella) --> you

only then can we work out what is happening and whether the deduction is valid or not...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why is this thread in General?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Capita, as your faux employer, has a turnover that means the levy is chargeable. Whether they pay it, you pay it, or the PSB pays it depends on your contract.

BTW - your post implies you are putting the invoicing/receipts through your Ltd Co. How are you accounting for the VAT discrepancy between what you charge and what you receive? I asked my accountant and he didn't know!
            There is no VAT discrepancy -> you bill £2000 with £400 VAT on top and you receive £400 in VAT.

The issue is that you don't receive £2000 in payment alongside that £400 in VAT. You only get £1200 of it (rough guesstimate figure) with the rest withhold or paid on your behalf by the agency....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonswork View Post
              Is this even legal to pass on a tax?
              It's legal as long as it is agreed between all parties - they cannot just add an extra charge to you without it being agreed in your contract though.

One of the schools that I am involved with has had to add a line in the budget this year to account for it, even though "our" payroll bill is significantly less than the £3m turnover. One of the other schools that I am involved with does not because it is being paid for by another entity instead of the individual school. Both are legal because of the contractual arrangements.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Due to the Chutney Spoon Levy.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  There is no VAT discrepancy -> you bill £2000 with £400 VAT on top and you receive £400 in VAT.

The issue is that you don't receive £2000 in payment alongside that £400 in VAT. You only get £1200 of it (rough guesstimate figure) with the rest withhold or paid on your behalf by the agency....
                  Ah...ok. That makes sense. Thank you

Time to change accountants.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Cause people are lazy.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X