• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petition Against IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Where's that faceplant smiley...
    My thoughts exactly. Sounds like something a permietractor would petition against.

Comment

Why do you say this?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Really.

Have you been living in a cave for the last 5 days??

HMRC are riding on the crest of a wave atm...
      I don't believe I have been hiding in a cave. We now have over 7,000 signatures of people who feel strongly. Yes I may require more knowledge and research but at least I have taken some action to hopefully reduce the unfairness in the tax regimes. Happy for you to expand your views.

Comment

Originally posted by Codsallkendo View Post
        I don't believe I have been hiding in a cave. We now have over 7,000 signatures of people who feel strongly. Yes I may require more knowledge and research but at least I have taken some action to hopefully reduce the unfairness in the tax regimes. Happy for you to expand your views.
        What's not fair about it?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Codsallkendo View Post
          Good for you for trying, of course. 7k signatures is not insignificant.

However, there are a lot of serious players combatting IR35 and have been ever since it came into force. If even providing HMG with irrefutable evidence on the cost to ULK PLC and the damage to the highly necessary flexible workforce that our economy is built on doesn't result in even an acknowledgement that IR35 is damaging, a single petition probably won't have much impact of itself.

Can I ask if you've taken a look at what ISPE are up to right now? You and your 7000 supporters could have a more direct impact by following their lead.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Nominally View Post
            The OP has good intentions, no need to rip into him/her.

There was this other petition which, I think, had the right sort of idea but got rejected anyway.
            Love the response:

We're not sure exactly how you would like the Government to define "companies that pay their fair share of tax".

Funny that. Because when it comes to IR35, they know exactly what (they think) it means...
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just sent a letter to my MP by following the IPSE link. Only took 5 minutes. Hopefully they will see sense.

Comment

Hi Ian

I agree with you that we as contractors, don't have employment security and take risks.

But this IR35 legislation is already applicable in the private sector.

From what i read, I think that the "extention to the private sector" is just that the liability for paying employers tax will lie to the "hirer" and not the "worker".

So the end client will need to determine the status of IR35 and not the contractor which to me it sounds that its actually positive for the contractors.

Because right now, the client/agency and accountant couldn't care less if your contract falls inside the IR35 because even if it does, they would never be penalised if this is uncovered under an HMRC investigation. The responsibility lies entirely to the contractor (private sector) to determine the IR35 status and then bear any consequences paying both employer NI and employee NI plus normal salary taxes.

This change would mean that the contractor can be more certain of their IR35 status because the client needs to actually check if the contract falls inside IR35 or not, otherwise they will be penalised with employers' NI.

However ofcourse it may mean that the client will take a conservative approach and not offer as many contract roles as before. Or it may mean that client is forced to offer true independence and flexibility for the contractor to do their work.

I'm not sure what will happen or not. But to me it doesn't seem that this is catastrophic for contractors. It might actually be a positive thing. Right now clients/agencies couldn't care less about the contracts they offer as the risk of IR35 penalties lies only on the contractor.

I'm interested to know more on this topic. Let me know your thoughts on why you think this extention needs to be petitioned against.

I would be more interested in petitioning against their current wording of IR35 rules which are very vague, difficult to understand and not clear how to demonstrate that our business is compliant with them.

Thanks
                Michael

Comment

Originally posted by michaelC View Post
                  Hi Ian

I agree with you that we as contractors, don't have employment security and take risks.

But this IR35 legislation is already applicable in the private sector.

From what i read, I think that the "extention to the private sector" is just that the liability for paying employers tax will lie to the "hirer" and not the "worker".

So the end client will need to determine the status of IR35 and not the contractor which to me it sounds that its actually positive for the contractors.

Because right now, the client/agency and accountant couldn't care less if your contract falls inside the IR35 because even if it does, they would never be penalised if this is uncovered under an HMRC investigation. The responsibility lies entirely to the contractor (private sector) to determine the IR35 status and then bear any consequences paying both employer NI and employee NI plus normal salary taxes.

This change would mean that the contractor can be more certain of their IR35 status because the client needs to actually check if the contract falls inside IR35 or not, otherwise they will be penalised with employers' NI.

However ofcourse it may mean that the client will take a conservative approach and not offer as many contract roles as before. Or it may mean that client is forced to offer true independence and flexibility for the contractor to do their work.

I'm not sure what will happen or not. But to me it doesn't seem that this is catastrophic for contractors. It might actually be a positive thing. Right now clients/agencies couldn't care less about the contracts they offer as the risk of IR35 penalties lies only on the contractor.

I'm interested to know more on this topic. Let me know your thoughts on why you think this extention needs to be petitioned against.

I would be more interested in petitioning against their current wording of IR35 rules which are very vague, difficult to understand and not clear how to demonstrate that our business is compliant with them.

Thanks
                  Michael
                  I suggest you study your history. Perhaps start with the IPSE website. But in brief the proposed addition of the public sector approach to the private one is not in any way a positive one.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hey, this is just amazing. Why did nobody ever think of a petition before? At this rate IR35 will soon be history. Nothing more certain.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I’ve already put my plan into action.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X