Petition Against IR35 Petition Against IR35 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11

    Banned


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Where's that faceplant smiley...
    My thoughts exactly. Sounds like something a permietractor would petition against.

  2. #12

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2

    Default Why do you say this?

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Really.

    Have you been living in a cave for the last 5 days??

    HMRC are riding on the crest of a wave atm...
    I don't believe I have been hiding in a cave. We now have over 7,000 signatures of people who feel strongly. Yes I may require more knowledge and research but at least I have taken some action to hopefully reduce the unfairness in the tax regimes. Happy for you to expand your views.

  3. #13

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codsallkendo View Post
    I don't believe I have been hiding in a cave. We now have over 7,000 signatures of people who feel strongly. Yes I may require more knowledge and research but at least I have taken some action to hopefully reduce the unfairness in the tax regimes. Happy for you to expand your views.
    What's not fair about it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #14

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codsallkendo View Post
    I don't believe I have been hiding in a cave. We now have over 7,000 signatures of people who feel strongly. Yes I may require more knowledge and research but at least I have taken some action to hopefully reduce the unfairness in the tax regimes. Happy for you to expand your views.
    Good for you for trying, of course. 7k signatures is not insignificant.

    However, there are a lot of serious players combatting IR35 and have been ever since it came into force. If even providing HMG with irrefutable evidence on the cost to ULK PLC and the damage to the highly necessary flexible workforce that our economy is built on doesn't result in even an acknowledgement that IR35 is damaging, a single petition probably won't have much impact of itself.

    Can I ask if you've taken a look at what ISPE are up to right now? You and your 7000 supporters could have a more direct impact by following their lead.
    Blog? What blog...?

  5. #15

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nominally View Post
    The OP has good intentions, no need to rip into him/her.

    There was this other petition which, I think, had the right sort of idea but got rejected anyway.
    Love the response:

    We're not sure exactly how you would like the Government to define "companies that pay their fair share of tax".

    Funny that. Because when it comes to IR35, they know exactly what (they think) it means...
    "Boom! Boom!" - B. Brush

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Just sent a letter to my MP by following the IPSE link. Only took 5 minutes. Hopefully they will see sense.

  7. #17

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi Ian

    I agree with you that we as contractors, don't have employment security and take risks.

    But this IR35 legislation is already applicable in the private sector.

    From what i read, I think that the "extention to the private sector" is just that the liability for paying employers tax will lie to the "hirer" and not the "worker".

    So the end client will need to determine the status of IR35 and not the contractor which to me it sounds that its actually positive for the contractors.

    Because right now, the client/agency and accountant couldn't care less if your contract falls inside the IR35 because even if it does, they would never be penalised if this is uncovered under an HMRC investigation. The responsibility lies entirely to the contractor (private sector) to determine the IR35 status and then bear any consequences paying both employer NI and employee NI plus normal salary taxes.

    This change would mean that the contractor can be more certain of their IR35 status because the client needs to actually check if the contract falls inside IR35 or not, otherwise they will be penalised with employers' NI.

    However ofcourse it may mean that the client will take a conservative approach and not offer as many contract roles as before. Or it may mean that client is forced to offer true independence and flexibility for the contractor to do their work.

    I'm not sure what will happen or not. But to me it doesn't seem that this is catastrophic for contractors. It might actually be a positive thing. Right now clients/agencies couldn't care less about the contracts they offer as the risk of IR35 penalties lies only on the contractor.

    I'm interested to know more on this topic. Let me know your thoughts on why you think this extention needs to be petitioned against.

    I would be more interested in petitioning against their current wording of IR35 rules which are very vague, difficult to understand and not clear how to demonstrate that our business is compliant with them.

    Thanks
    Michael

  8. #18

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelC View Post
    Hi Ian

    I agree with you that we as contractors, don't have employment security and take risks.

    But this IR35 legislation is already applicable in the private sector.

    From what i read, I think that the "extention to the private sector" is just that the liability for paying employers tax will lie to the "hirer" and not the "worker".

    So the end client will need to determine the status of IR35 and not the contractor which to me it sounds that its actually positive for the contractors.

    Because right now, the client/agency and accountant couldn't care less if your contract falls inside the IR35 because even if it does, they would never be penalised if this is uncovered under an HMRC investigation. The responsibility lies entirely to the contractor (private sector) to determine the IR35 status and then bear any consequences paying both employer NI and employee NI plus normal salary taxes.

    This change would mean that the contractor can be more certain of their IR35 status because the client needs to actually check if the contract falls inside IR35 or not, otherwise they will be penalised with employers' NI.

    However ofcourse it may mean that the client will take a conservative approach and not offer as many contract roles as before. Or it may mean that client is forced to offer true independence and flexibility for the contractor to do their work.

    I'm not sure what will happen or not. But to me it doesn't seem that this is catastrophic for contractors. It might actually be a positive thing. Right now clients/agencies couldn't care less about the contracts they offer as the risk of IR35 penalties lies only on the contractor.

    I'm interested to know more on this topic. Let me know your thoughts on why you think this extention needs to be petitioned against.

    I would be more interested in petitioning against their current wording of IR35 rules which are very vague, difficult to understand and not clear how to demonstrate that our business is compliant with them.

    Thanks
    Michael
    I suggest you study your history. Perhaps start with the IPSE website. But in brief the proposed addition of the public sector approach to the private one is not in any way a positive one.
    Blog? What blog...?

  9. #19

    Default

    Hey, this is just amazing. Why did nobody ever think of a petition before? At this rate IR35 will soon be history. Nothing more certain.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

  10. #20

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,082

    Default

    I’ve already put my plan into action.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •