• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Survey on the impact of public sector IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    If you go through the first question and select umbrella it stops there.
    So don't. Pretend you still run a Ltd Co and then answer the questions...

What none of the local keyboard warriors are realising is that HMG won't take any notice of anything that isn't evidenced in a form they understand (which rather limits things). The survey is flawed but it's the only one trying to establish a baseline to defeat HMRC's assertion that there has been no impact form the PS changes.

As for "keeping you head down", well that's just pathetic.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

What none of the local keyboard warriors are realising is that HMG won't take any notice of anything that isn't evidenced in a form they understand (which rather limits things). The survey is flawed but it's the only one trying to establish a baseline to defeat HMRC's assertion that there has been no impact form the PS changes.

Right, but I think there's some constructive criticism too. I think it would help for the preamble to paraphrase what you state above, i.e. "If you have worked via a Ltd. company for a PSB over the last two years...". It would be better to remove the logic that kills the survey and instead record the current mode of operation (umbrella, Ltd., back to permie...). I haven't looked at the questions that follow, but I think it would help to distinguish responses based on a shift from Ltd. (a requirement to complete the survey) to something else. More data is generally better, because you can disaggregate ex post.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Right, but I think there's some constructive criticism too. I think it would help for the preamble to paraphrase what you state above, i.e. "If you have worked via a Ltd. company for a PSB over the last two years...". It would be better to remove the logic that kills the survey and instead record the current mode of operation (umbrella, Ltd., back to permie...). I haven't looked at the questions that follow, but I think it would help to distinguish responses based on a shift from Ltd. (a requirement to complete the survey) to something else. More data is generally better, because you can disaggregate ex post.
        The problems have been flagged to IPSE's people. I hope they will take notice.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The aim of the survey was to exclude people who were working through an umbrella company when the rules came in, because they wouldn't have been caught by IR35 anyway as they were employees.

However, the survey is not intended to exclude those who were working through a limited company before the rules, and who are now working through an umbrella company. The appropriate people are currently tweaking the survey wording to make this clearer.

To date there have been around 500 responses, which given that the survey only went live last night is a great sign that people are wanting to share their experiences to help the entire community form some evidence-based arguments against this.

Those who have already replied and completed the survey accurately, thank you. If you are affected, then I would wait a little while and then have another go at the survey once the guidance / wording / questions have been looked at (I do not know the precise details of what the current / previous / future survey contained).
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Are they going to survey the PS clients too? As that is where the real pressure is going to be felt by HMRC if the PS find it a problem (e.g. in rate uplift demands to offset IR35 and lack of expenses etc, and drop in contractors willing to entertain PS contracts at all) and want the situation improving.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

The survey has been updated to better reflect what they are trying tho find out. Perhaps people can give it another try. TIA
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X