• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Great Tax Rip-Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    No had you walked you wouldn’t be appearing on the Hmrc report called “people who clearly were working inside ir35 prior to April 2017” which is a simple query listing those working inside ir35 from April 2017 yet were outside in March 2017 as reported by the monthly agency payment reporting regulations.

The entire reason for leaving in March 2017 was to ensure you were not on any report Hmrc would use to generate their list to investigate. That’s why I said as much back in December 2016 when it became clear what contractors at HMRC had determined to be their best course of action.

Yes you may be able to show that things are different between then and now but the entire point was to ensure you weren’t placed in a position where you had to demonstrate those differences

Out of curiosity, is this conjecture? Or do you know for a FACT that there is a report called "people who clearly were working inside ir35 prior to April 2017"? No disrespect, but I am expecting the former.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NetContractor View Post
      Ok. I may have a solution which I would like to sound out here. No gimmicks or scams; just a documented change to working practice that might just help.

Since I have been declared inside ir35 I have accepted a certain element of control from the client. To be honest it has been nice NOT being responsible for many decisions this year. But the project has suffered in a certain amount of miss-direction.

I would like to take back control, resolve the clients issues, and get myself out of ir35.

For the past year I have been office based; I set hours that suited me and my family, butt I have worked 7 hours a day in the office.

I do however have a home office, and have ensured I can access necessary resources to work on my project from my own office at times which suit me.

I have run my situation through CREST and according to it; all thin hs being equal, if I choose my hours and location of work, I am outside ir35. I will obviously print this determination off.

On top of that I want to bring in some resource, occasionally, at my expense, to assist with my work.

The client will accept the new terms, and change to working practice from 1st June. The contract can be terminated and re-written.

How do we inform HMRC about the changes?
      I am not a tax expert but what you are proposing is to change an existing inside IR35 role into an outside one? With the tools now available to HMRC, I really think that any move that has only one purpose, to mitigate tax, is almost certain to be set aside as a sham and IR35 applied to the whole contract. The only solution I can see is to leave the job and find a new one that is genuinely outside the legislation.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is this conjecture? Or do you know for a FACT that there is a report called "people who clearly were working inside ir35 prior to April 2017"? No disrespect, but I am expecting the former.

thanks.
        Shall we just say that - I know that that report was on a backlog to be created - in the same way that I know exactly what NHS improvement said would happen to Trust directors who tried to "game" the system

And as Fred Bloggs states given that you have been inside IR35 for a while why do you think HMRC will agree that your role is outside IR35 when they have evidence that you accepted (for a while) that your work with that agency was inside.
        Last edited by madame SasGuru; 13 May 2018, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
          Shall we just say that - I know that that report was on a backlog to be created - in the same way that I know exactly what NHS improvement said would happen to Trust directors who tried to "game" the system

And as Fred Bloggs states given that you have been inside IR35 for a while why do you think HMRC will agree that your role is outside IR35 when they have evidence that you accepted (for a while) that your work with that agency was inside.
          yes, but by the logic I could argue that my contract was outside IR35 for "a while" and Human Resources (whom have no direct knowledge of my contract) insisted it "become" inside due to the new legislation, but as I was operating outside, they must have been wrong....I should be due a massive tax refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I am not a tax expert but what you are proposing is to change an existing inside IR35 role into an outside one? With the tools now available to HMRC, I really think that any move that has only one purpose, to mitigate tax, is almost certain to be set aside as a sham and IR35 applied to the whole contract. The only solution I can see is to leave the job and find a new one that is genuinely outside the legislation.

Not true at all. I am proposing a change in work practice which ensures the contract is a business to business relationship and thus clearly not covered by the legislation. This is in no was a "sham", but a genuine change in the relationship...clearly!

Comment

Once again, I am sorry that I posted here.

This is not a forum whereby you get an intellectual conversation between contractors wanting to help each other out. Clearly, people with any sort of actual knowledge do not frequent these forums, just people with far too much time on their hands and an opinion.

I won't post here again. I thought we were contractors and professionals coming together to help each other. clearly not. its a waste of time. Good day.

Comment

Not true at all. I am proposing a change in work practice which ensures the contract is a business to business relationship and thus clearly not covered by the legislation. This is in no was a "sham", but a genuine change in the relationship...clearly!
                Seems academic now that you have flounced anyway. But it isn't me you need to convince. I can see no commercial purpose in the arrangement you describe, hence it is purely tax motivated. Such arrangements these days are usually ruled a sham.

All I can say to you is good luck if you ever need to argue that with HMRC. Be sure to let us know how it turned out, since I really am very interested in hearing all about it.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

This is not a forum whereby you get an intellectual conversation between contractors wanting to help each other out. Clearly, people with any sort of actual knowledge do not frequent these forums, just people with far too much time on their hands and an opinion.

I won't post here again. I thought we were contractors and professionals coming together to help each other. clearly not. its a waste of time. Good day.
                  Um - I think you will find I don't post here often anymore and only posted as you clearly didn't pay attention to the advice I happily handed out and got abused for between December 2016 and March 2017. Beyond that when it comes to HMRC there is zero point debating what they will do as their viewpoints are very fixed...

Comment

You've fallen into that classic trap of hoping for answers that confirm your desired outcome and then flouncing when they don't.

They didn't, you flounced.

Happens all the time.

The IR35 status of a contract depends on the facts at any given time. Yes, the status can change, because working practices can change (cf. JLJ). No, you are not in a strong position if, at some point, it was determined (and you agreed) that the contract was inside IR35. You would need to demonstrate a very clear change in working practices, and what you propose is unlikely to be adequate. At the very least, your case will be pursued to the bitter end by HMRC if investigated, which seems quite likely, because your merry-go-round status has been within their full view.

Comment

Working...
                    X