• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultation on IR35 reforms in the private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consultation on IR35 reforms in the private sector

The promised consultation is due out today, 5 March. You'll be able to find it here when it arrives:

Publications - GOV.UK

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The promised consultation is due out today, 5 March. You'll be able to find it here when it arrives:

Publications - GOV.UK
    Just skim read it. Pretty much as expected with the only notable change that liability passes down the chain to the agencies and will stop at the point in the chain where a party has not provided the relevant info to the next link in the chain.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Having also just read it and the statements about not blanket assessing, I cannot see any other approach that clients in the private sector will take.

I think that HMRC are overestimating the competence of HR departments when they say they believe they'll be able to handle it and making judgements. Hell, many of them can't even handle sorting out contracts properly so I struggle to see how they'll handle the nuances of IR35 determination.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
        Having also just read it and the statements about not blanket assessing, I cannot see any other approach that clients in the private sector will take.

I think that HMRC are overestimating the competence of HR departments when they say they believe they'll be able to handle it and making judgements. Hell, many of them can't even handle sorting out contracts properly so I struggle to see how they'll handle the nuances of IR35 determination.
        If it is ok to assess 1 contractor and blanket over the others, does that mean that 1 contractor proving they are outside IR35 means the same is true for the others. I expect it's not!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

IR35 : New Off-Payroll private sector consultation launched

https://assets.publishing.service.go...April_2020.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            If it is ok to assess 1 contractor and blanket over the others, does that mean that 1 contractor proving they are outside IR35 means the same is true for the others. I expect it's not!
            If only! I doubt not too...

What is genuinely surprising is the lack of traffic on this forum about the private sector off payroll implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
              If only! I doubt not too...

What is genuinely surprising is the lack of traffic on this forum about the private sector off payroll implementation.
              I popped over to IPSE to see what is happening and what the forums say. Not a lot more than here. Will they fight this like the arctic case or roll over?
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I don't see anything particularly surprising or interesting in the consultation, other than clarification of liability passing down the chain as responsibilities are addressed and, perhaps, the client providing the status decision directly to the contractor. The mooted process to challenge status decisions sounds pointless (administered by the client). The stuff about pensions is pretty laughable too. Otherwise, more-or-less as expected, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                  I popped over to IPSE to see what is happening and what the forums say. Not a lot more than here. Will they fight this like the arctic case or roll over?
                  IR35 consultation: everything you need to know | IPSE

IPSE: ‘Myopic’ IR35 extension will ‘hamstring’ UK businesses
                  Last edited by jamesbrown; 5 March 2019, 16:36.

Comment

More analysis here too:

IR35 experts size up off-payroll working consultation
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:18.

Comment

Working...
                    X