• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 private sector : Switch to permie or leave ..... not that simple.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 private sector : Switch to permie or leave ..... not that simple.

It would now appear that all of the big Banks will adopt this blanket approach over the coming months ... in many cases saying 'go permie or leave.'

However, I don't believe its as simple as that. A lot of contracts have a clause stating that you can't simply leave the job and come back using a different third party (agency) within (usually) a 6 month period. This implies that the agencies are simply not going to allow their contractors to flip to permie without the Banks effectively paying them up to 6 months commission.

Has this been mentioned at all?

All banks, and most big organizations, have clauses in stating what happens if they want to take someone on. Usually its a percentage fee. Getting on the PSL is tough and agencies have to agree to many things.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
      It would now appear that all of the big Banks will adopt this blanket approach over the coming months ... in many cases saying 'go permie or leave.'

However, I don't believe its as simple as that. A lot of contracts have a clause stating that you can't simply leave the job and come back using a different third party (agency) within (usually) a 6 month period. This implies that the agencies are simply not going to allow their contractors to flip to permie without the Banks effectively paying them up to 6 months commission.

Has this been mentioned at all?
      Not BOE
      They want everybody outside

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
        Not BOE
        They want everybody outside
        Thats interesting! Can you say any more? Or what your source is?

I certainly hope its true.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Thats interesting! Can you say any more? Or what your source is?

I certainly hope its true.
          I've been onsite since September, we all have letters onBOE stationary, from the bank stating that we are outside ir35 and not employees, workers etc and are responsible for our own tax/insurance. Currently in contract till june, but project has slipped

Comment

Huh?? I doubt any bank will say that (except to very few contractors who are doing a BAU kind of work instead of project work)
            The term project means temporary, yes I know after implementing a project some ongoing maintenance/BAU is required but that's not real project work tbh,its an ongoing service, for maintenance type/BAU I can see them saying go permie, but for most others who are involved in initializing and delivering projects e.g. implementing new regulations, why would they want to take contractors on permanently??
            I think the norm would be a PAYE fixed term contract .... so worst of the two world...

Comment

Money talks.

The banks and the agencies have more likely than not inserted the "no return within 6 months" rule to prevent contiguous contracting periods being viewed as one period for the purposes of AWR or employment law.

However, if the choice is now leave or go permie, the clause becomes less important and given that the agencies survive only at the behest of their paymasters, I'm expecting no problems in ignoring it.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Do you have any evidence for this?

Apart from HSBC (who are attempting to reduce costs), what other banks are planning to terminate contracts or issue blanket inside assessments for the 2020 changes?
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                X