Contributing to the contractor calculator campaign ... Contributing to the contractor calculator campaign ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    621

    Default Contributing to the contractor calculator campaign ...

    Assume this is okay to do from my Ltd ...

    Just wondering what I'd stick it under in Free Agent - Subscriptions ??

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
    Assume this is okay to do from my Ltd ...

    Just wondering what I'd stick it under in Free Agent - Subscriptions ??
    More a question for the Accounting forum and even possibly your accountant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    More a question for the Accounting forum and even possibly your accountant?
    Err. yes probably. Was wondering if anyone else had stuck their hand in their pocket.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39,215

    Default

    It's not wolly and exclusively for the purpose of business so shouldn't go through the company should it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
    Err. yes probably. Was wondering if anyone else had stuck their hand in their pocket.
    Yes I have contributed and it was out of my own pocket not the companies, however it did cross my mind to do it from the company when I was charged VAT on top of the donation/subscription.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's not wolly and exclusively for the purpose of business so shouldn't go through the company should it?
    How can you say that? The proposed changes may directly affect the business, and potentially its ability to operate, and therefore one might argue that the contributions are justified as being wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, i.e. its very existance. Or you can just ask your accountant.

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    How can you say that? The proposed changes may directly affect the business, and potentially its ability to operate, and therefore one might argue that the contributions are justified as being wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, i.e. its very existance. Or you can just ask your accountant.
    Hmm yeah. I was thinking of the personal taxation side so had a bit of brain fart there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    How can you say that? The proposed changes may directly affect the business, and potentially its ability to operate, and therefore one might argue that the contributions are justified as being wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, i.e. its very existance. Or you can just ask your accountant.
    I did ask my accountant and they were of the opinion:
    1. Would it be "wholly and exclusively"?
    2. Affect only personal taxation?
    3. They did concede that it will affect how the business operates hence I would argue in 2 it obviously affects business taxation too.

    Ultimately they said it would be my call if I feel it is a justifiable business expense and my argument is that, like Yorkie62, in reality there is no point in the business existing if the vast majority of contracts are suddenly blanket assessed as inside IR35, regardless of the reality of the situation.

    Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both, they are going to need support for the inevitable fights to come in the months/years ahead.

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    I did ask my accountant and they were of the opinion:
    1. Would it be "wholly and exclusively"?
    2. Affect only personal taxation?
    3. They did concede that it will affect how the business operates hence I would argue in 2 it obviously affects business taxation too.

    Ultimately they said it would be my call if I feel it is a justifiable business expense and my argument is that, like Yorkie62, in reality there is no point in the business existing if the vast majority of contracts are suddenly blanket assessed as inside IR35, regardless of the reality of the situation.

    Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both, they are going to need support for the inevitable fights to come in the months/years ahead.
    "Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both"

    I would say that many would wish to direct their own fight through their own legal representatives. Having an external organisation control any case might not necessarily be in the best interests of a contractor. Those organisations might want to follow a particular path for their own ends, which might not correspond to the contractor's ends. I've had occasion to ignore "legal" advice and follow my own path, disproving that legal advice, to my own advantage.

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both"

    I would say that many would wish to direct their own fight through their own legal representatives. Having an external organisation control any case might not necessarily be in the best interests of a contractor. Those organisations might want to follow a particular path for their own ends, which might not correspond to the contractor's ends. I've had occasion to ignore "legal" advice and follow my own path, disproving that legal advice, to my own advantage.
    A test case to resolve this will take several years and at least £2m. Have you the funds to support that level of risk?
    Blog? What blog...?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •