• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contributing to the contractor calculator campaign ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contributing to the contractor calculator campaign ...

Assume this is okay to do from my Ltd ...

Just wondering what I'd stick it under in Free Agent - Subscriptions ??

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Assume this is okay to do from my Ltd ...

Just wondering what I'd stick it under in Free Agent - Subscriptions ??
    More a question for the Accounting forum and even possibly your accountant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      More a question for the Accounting forum and even possibly your accountant?
      Err. yes probably. Was wondering if anyone else had stuck their hand in their pocket.

Comment

It's not wolly and exclusively for the purpose of business so shouldn't go through the company should it?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          Err. yes probably. Was wondering if anyone else had stuck their hand in their pocket.
          Yes I have contributed and it was out of my own pocket not the companies, however it did cross my mind to do it from the company when I was charged VAT on top of the donation/subscription.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's not wolly and exclusively for the purpose of business so shouldn't go through the company should it?
            How can you say that? The proposed changes may directly affect the business, and potentially its ability to operate, and therefore one might argue that the contributions are justified as being wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, i.e. its very existance. Or you can just ask your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              How can you say that? The proposed changes may directly affect the business, and potentially its ability to operate, and therefore one might argue that the contributions are justified as being wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, i.e. its very existance. Or you can just ask your accountant.
              Hmm yeah. I was thinking of the personal taxation side so had a bit of brain fart there.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                I did ask my accountant and they were of the opinion:
                1. Would it be "wholly and exclusively"?
                2. Affect only personal taxation?
                3. They did concede that it will affect how the business operates hence I would argue in 2 it obviously affects business taxation too.

Ultimately they said it would be my call if I feel it is a justifiable business expense and my argument is that, like Yorkie62, in reality there is no point in the business existing if the vast majority of contracts are suddenly blanket assessed as inside IR35, regardless of the reality of the situation.

Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both, they are going to need support for the inevitable fights to come in the months/years ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                  I did ask my accountant and they were of the opinion:
                  1. Would it be "wholly and exclusively"?
                  2. Affect only personal taxation?
                  3. They did concede that it will affect how the business operates hence I would argue in 2 it obviously affects business taxation too.

Ultimately they said it would be my call if I feel it is a justifiable business expense and my argument is that, like Yorkie62, in reality there is no point in the business existing if the vast majority of contracts are suddenly blanket assessed as inside IR35, regardless of the reality of the situation.

Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both, they are going to need support for the inevitable fights to come in the months/years ahead.
                  "Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both"

I would say that many would wish to direct their own fight through their own legal representatives. Having an external organisation control any case might not necessarily be in the best interests of a contractor. Those organisations might want to follow a particular path for their own ends, which might not correspond to the contractor's ends. I've had occasion to ignore "legal" advice and follow my own path, disproving that legal advice, to my own advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    "Whether people support this campaign, the IPSE or both"

I would say that many would wish to direct their own fight through their own legal representatives. Having an external organisation control any case might not necessarily be in the best interests of a contractor. Those organisations might want to follow a particular path for their own ends, which might not correspond to the contractor's ends. I've had occasion to ignore "legal" advice and follow my own path, disproving that legal advice, to my own advantage.
                    A test case to resolve this will take several years and at least £2m. Have you the funds to support that level of risk?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X