• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment on Account Jan before rule change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment on Account Jan before rule change

Of course I won’t be doing 18/19 SA until closer to Jan 2020.
    I’m one of these that thinks it’ll be either blanket inside IR35 or FTC from then on. I’m curious about whether many are going to choose not to make a payment on account with whatever reasoning e.g. “Possibility of a change in the nature of income”

Did any of you public sector contractors do this on your 15/16 self assessment thinking that you wanted to stick to Inside IR35 public sector gig(s) ?

Or would that be a red flag so instead just lend HMRC the money for a year?
    Last edited by PTP; 2 May 2019, 07:30.

Originally posted by PTP View Post
    Of course I won’t be doing 18/19 SA until closer to Jan 2020.
    I’m one of these that thinks it’ll be either blanket inside IR35 or FTC from then on. I’m curious about whether many are going to choose not to make a payment on account with whatever reasoning e.g. “Possibility of a change in the nature of income”

Did any of you public sector contractors do this on your 15/16 self assessment thinking that you wanted to stick to Inside IR35 public sector gig(s) ?

Or would that be a red flag so instead just lend HMRC the money for a year?
    Why would your payment on account for 19/20 have anything to do with the rule changes that come in from April 2020?

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
      Why would your payment on account for 19/20 have anything to do with the rule changes that come in from April 2020?
      Because the whole point of PoA is HMRC assume your Non-PAYE tax bill for 20/21 will be the same as for 19/20 so they get you to pay 50% of it upfront and 50% later in the year. Unless you give them a valid reason not to and risk interest if you’ve got it wrong.

If inside/FTC the non-PAYE bill for 20/21 would be £0 so HMRC’s assumption would be wrong and you’d be tying your money up for up to 12 months and rely on them giving it back
      Last edited by PTP; 2 May 2019, 08:41.

Comment

Working...
      X