• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private sector EDM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    So take them to court.

Easy to say it. Far harder if you're looking at £1m costs and seven years or so of appeals...

Organisations can't do it, they need a brave and determined person to get things started.
    You don't actually need that big a group to join together to be able to fund this. Of course it will take 6 years or so - that's the nature of the beast. Or just accept it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
      You don't actually need that big a group to join together to be able to fund this. Of course it will take 6 years or so - that's the nature of the beast. Or just accept it and move on.
      You really do need a very large group. With very deep pockets. 6 years? Try tripling that!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        You really do need a very large group. With very deep pockets. 6 years? Try tripling that!
        You need around £1 million to go all the way. You need to allow 6 years for the average JR.

Given the number of contractors affected by this issue, you should be able to count on a minimum of 1000 in the group.

You need to get on with this soon. QC needs to be chosen, arguments picked, etc. This takes time. If you wait too long then the window of opportunity will be gone before you know it.

Comment

You need around £1 million to go all the way. You need to allow 6 years for the average JR.

Given the number of contractors affected by this issue, you should be able to count on a minimum of 1000 in the group.

You need to get on with this soon. QC needs to be chosen, arguments picked, etc. This takes time. If you wait too long then the window of opportunity will be gone before you know it.
          I am permanent. Why should I care?

Comment

I really don't think there is the will out there to go this far now. When IR35 was first challenged by a JR, the necessary funds were gathered in a very short time. But being cynical, the legal people should have been able to advise that there was no prospect of the JR being successful, which turned out to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I am permanent. Why should I care?
              I don't care either. I have absolutely zero intention of joining any group doing anything about IR35. Because I got out of that game a while ago and I'm selfish. It's been clear for years that HMRC don't like contractors. It was inevitable that the public sector off payroll rules were going to be rolled out to the private sector. I don't think it could have been any clearer.

However, for those that do care, and anybody still contracting should care, then they were my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                I really don't think there is the will out there to go this far now. When IR35 was first challenged by a JR, the necessary funds were gathered in a very short time. But being cynical, the legal people should have been able to advise that there was no prospect of the JR being successful, which turned out to be the case.
                It's a shame really. The only alternative is to accept it and move on. It's not going to go away. Way too much perceived lost money for the Treasury and contractors are low hanging fruit. Public sympathy won't be on the side of contractors either.

One of the problems is that contractors by nature don't tend to come together as a group - it's one of the attractions of contracting.

Comment

One of the problems is that contractors by nature don't tend to come together as a group - it's one of the attractions of contracting.
                  Whatever happened to that trade association mob; you know, the one's that were campaigning for maternity pay and beard oil whilst the Government pissed on our chips?
                  Last edited by wattaj; 27 June 2019, 12:13. Reason: Grammar and punctuation.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    Whatever happened to that trade association mob; you know, the one's that were campaigning for maternity pay and beard oil whilst the Government pissed on our chips?
                    Not sure which trade association you are referring to, but are they the ones that aren't on this https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/wp-c...ing_Sector.pdf ?

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                      Do you mean IPSE?

Well they did a great job with Arctic. Maybe, like QDOS, they will starting offering insurance to employers?

Comment

Working...
                      X