• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mel Stride's response to my letter to my MP regarding the new IR35 rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mel Stride's response to my letter to my MP regarding the new IR35 rules

"The off-payroll working rules ensure that individuals working like employees but through their own company pay broadly the same tax and National Insurance as other employees who are directly employed"

Dawn Primarolo's response to my letter to my MP, sent many years ago, regarding the original IR35 rules -

"The intermediary regulations ensure that individuals working like employees but through their own company pay broadly the same tax and National Insurance as other employees who are directly employed"

nothing changes, individuals come and go, but HMRC remains.

Government, and in particular HMRC, do not get the modern world and the importance of an IT workforce that is flexible.

The point s that contractors do not work like employees. There is no MOO. Companies need freedom to move fast.

No wonder the UK is stuffed....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Government, and in particular HMRC, do not get the modern world and the importance of an IT workforce that is flexible.

The point s that contractors do not work like employees. There is no MOO. Companies need freedom to move fast.

Mel Stride has been replaced by Jesse Norman. I wonder if that had anything to do with the conflict of interest investigation?

Comment

Did you point out the similarity in the 2 responses to your MP? You could have also sent your MP the bit where Hammond is on record criticising IR35 in the house when it was introduced. I'd love to hear Hammond justify his 180 degree about turn on this. Presumably he just didn't understand the topic back when he opposed it...but now that he does it's all fine
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

The UK is stuffed because most of the political class lack any sort of qualifications and experience to understand the drivers behind a vibrant and flexible economy. The UK work-force is viewed in terms of their contribution to tax take at source and nothing else.

Labour want to impose a Marxist government which is supposedly more paternalistic, however with higher tax rates to pay for it - and the insidious Tories want to appease their friends in large corporations by making it tougher for individuals and SME's to do business which removes theirs and their corporate buddies of control of the electorate.

All the others have no chance of getting into power.

Neither care much about the flexible worker above the tax receipts that they generate. Their optimum solution would be to have everyone in the UK PAYE. Easier to manage, process and a simpler vehicle to keep the average Joe in line.

I'll just correct your first line a tad - Government, and in particular HMRC, DNGAF about the modern world and the importance of an IT workforce that is flexible.

Comment

SaleosConsultancy (@SaleosC) on Twitter

Update on potential misconduct in public office action v Stride and/or Hammond. Meeting solicitors next week. Any volunteers to be lead claimant please contact me.

We can hope.....

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              Did you point out the similarity in the 2 responses to your MP? You could have also sent your MP the bit where Hammond is on record criticising IR35 in the house when it was introduced. I'd love to hear Hammond justify his 180 degree about turn on this. Presumably he just didn't understand the topic back when he opposed it...but now that he does it's all fine
              I didn't mention anything about the possible conflict of interest investigation in my letters to my MP. I wanted to stick to actual facts. I will mention it when I have a face to face meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                I didn't mention anything about the possible conflict of interest investigation in my letters to my MP. I wanted to stick to actual facts. I will mention it when I have a face to face meeting.
                I would say that it's pretty much a matter of fact that when 2 different MP's from 2 different parties spin the same line 20 spanning a 20 year gap that it's fairly obvious that the line is being fed to them by a 3rd party. My point about Hammond is that he is on record denouncing ir35 in the debates when it was introduced - he even mentioned something about its negative effects on some of the smallest micro businesses - so if it was bad then, why is it good to go. He was either lying then or he is now!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I would say that it's pretty much a matter of fact that when 2 different MP's from 2 different parties spin the same line 20 spanning a 20 year gap that it's fairly obvious that the line is being fed to them by a 3rd party. My point about Hammond is that he is on record denouncing ir35 in the debates when it was introduced - he even mentioned something about its negative effects on some of the smallest micro businesses - so if it was bad then, why is it good to go. He was either lying then or he is now!
                  whenever hammond opens his mouth he's probably lying..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

I would say that it's pretty much a matter of fact that when 2 different MP's from 2 different parties spin the same line 20 spanning a 20 year gap that it's fairly obvious that the line is being fed to them by a 3rd party.
                    Yes. That'll be the civil service.

The rumour was, back in 1999, that the Tories (when in power) had been telling the Treasury to get stuffed regarding what became known as IR35 for about a decade.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X