• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repeal IR35 legislation in Public Sector and proposed Private Sector rollout.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petitions might help if there is an argument over which colour to paint the Scouts hut.

But in terms of repealing the above, there is already much evidence to show the HMRC are not listening, reading, or understanding. So, it is somewhat doubtful that a little petition will even be noticed, much less read, and certainly not actioned upon.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Petitions might help if there is an argument over which colour to paint the Scouts hut.

But in terms of repealing the above, there is already much evidence to show the HMRC are not listening, reading, or understanding. So, it is somewhat doubtful that a little petition will even be noticed, much less read, and certainly not actioned upon.
      The only thing that can change HMRC is the government. Government want to maximise tax revenue. At any cost.

So it requires revolution.

Or stick with the odd court victory for those with deep pockets and many years.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

granted, but as I've said, the use of the term "Personal Service Company" has been accepted by common use, as has IR35 for "the Intermediaries Regulations". Perhaps these petitions are one way the contracting environment can keep sending the message.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          Perhaps these petitions are one way the contracting environment can keep sending the message.
          You just don't get it at all do you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You just don't get it at all do you.
            you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. What have you done personally to attack IR35?

Comment

you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. What have you done personally to attack IR35?
              It's not just my opinion. At least 3 others have clearly stated why petitions are worthless.

How do you think a petition sends a message? Even if the message was decently worded, which so far none have, the only people that read the petition are the contractors already aware. No one else.

Funny you say what have I done to attack IR35 coming from the guy that nearly shafted contracting by trying giving the Gov a win that could have been referenced in every one of their cases.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 29 May 2019, 08:55.

Comment

It's not just my opinion. At least 3 others have clearly stated why petitions are worthless.

How do you think a petition sends a message? Even if the message was decently worded, which so far none have, the only people that read the petition are the contractors already aware. No one else.

Funny you say what have I done to attack IR35 coming from the guy that nearly shafted contracting by trying giving the Gov a win that could have been referenced in every one of their cases.
                "At least 3 others have clearly stated why petitions are worthless".

only 3? small potatoes!

"nearly shafted contracting by trying giving the Gov a win"

que?

In what way do you reckon that winning or losing an EAT case would give HMG a win? It defeated HMRC in so far as their proposed investigation of me under IR35 was abandoned. This in my mind ably demonstrates that they couldn't risk challenging me in the Tax Commissioners Court, and demonstrates the fallacy that you can be judged an employee for tax purposes but not employee benefits. There were also other issues which re-inforce my opinion, which can't be published here.

I ask again, what have you done personally to attack IR35

Comment

"At least 3 others have clearly stated why petitions are worthless".

only 3? small potatoes!
                  With factual explanations why, based on how the petitions work.
                  "nearly shafted contracting by trying giving the Gov a win"

que?

In what way do you reckon that winning or losing an EAT case would give HMG a win? It defeated HMRC in so far as their proposed investigation of me under IR35 was abandoned. This in my mind ably demonstrates that they couldn't risk challenging me in the Tax Commissioners Court, and demonstrates the fallacy that you can be judged an employee for tax purposes but not employee benefits. There were also other issues which re-inforce my opinion, which can't be published here.
                  Outside contractor manages to argue he's inside would set a precedent for all future cases giving HMRC the arguments they needed. Thankfully, as you say, you lost.
                  I ask again, what have you done personally to attack IR35
                  I've spent a lot of time guiding my clients through the changes when I was in public sector and I'm currently doing the same with my current client. Others can attack the legislation, I'm trying to educate my client instead.

Comment

With factual explanations why, based on how the petitions work.

Outside contractor manages to argue he's inside would set a precedent for all future cases giving HMRC the arguments they needed. Thankfully, as you say, you lost.

I've spent a lot of time guiding my clients through the changes when I was in public sector and I'm currently doing the same with my current client. Others can attack the legislation, I'm trying to educate my client instead.
                    "Outside contractor manages to argue he's inside"

that's a great leap of assumption. I was a BOS with no ROS and thus a target for IR35. The EAT determined that I wasn't an employee of my client. So exactly opposite to what you have assumed.

Given the political skulduggery surrounding my case, it was entirely clear to me that HMG wanted me to lose, which suited my purposes exactly. I was a BOS with no ROS and I was judged not an employee of my client. Thus driving a horse and cart through the IR35 ideology.

"I've spent a lot of time guiding my clients through the changes when I was in public sector and I'm currently doing the same with my current client. Others can attack the legislation, I'm trying to educate my client instead"

Clients have their own agendas which might not necessarily concur with ours. So, you've done nothing directly yourself to attack IR35 then.

Comment

"Outside contractor manages to argue he's inside"

that's a great leap of assumption. I was a BOS with no ROS and thus a target for IR35. The EAT determined that I wasn't an employee of my client. So exactly opposite to what you have assumed.
                      But by losing you proved that you weren't a target.

Clients have their own agendas which might not necessarily concur with ours. So, you've done nothing directly yourself to attack IR35 then.
                      Which is exactly why I'm educating them you moron.

And if you flapping about is what you call personally attacking IR35 then we are screwed.

Comment

Working...
                      X