• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collective bargaining

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both the above are spot on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am as left wing as anyone on here and love co operatives but I don't think there is enough unifying factors to make it work for contractors. For one thing a lot of contractors still don't see the iceberg coming so won't see the need. As has been said otherwise we tend to be fairly independently minded people - not everyone can change working environment two or three times a year - and some of us are in competition with each other.

If someone wants to setup a ground up association to share experiences and explore areas of common interest I am all ears but the Union of IT Contractors is a pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Both the above are spot on.
        I feel it should be noted that the comment immediately two above this came from JTB. Isn't that sweet?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          I feel it should be noted that the comment immediately two above this came from JTB. Isn't that sweet?
          he probably doesn't realise

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            he probably doesn't realise
            I did but WiB has read it wrong. The two comments above are the one from JamesBrown and the one quoted from WiB. I didn't mean the two POSTS above. My bad.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I did but WiB has read it wrong. The two comments above are the one from JamesBrown and the one quoted from WiB. I didn't mean the two POSTS above. My bad.
              Nice recovery!

Comment

well I know the difference between ASCII and EBCDIC and the implications of how data is transferred between such platforms. Do you?
                yes, i do

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  yes, i do
                  so, you've worked on mainframes then.

Comment

so, you've worked on mainframes then.
                    a bit, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      a bit, yes.
                      OK, so that I know what your level of understanding is, and for you to know mine, answer this question

If a COMP-3 field is initialised with the value of +5 let's say, and calculations on this field may result in no change to the value, and to make it easier, this field is then written to an output file, how by examining that output file can you determine whether or not the field was ever altered?

Comment

Working...
                      X