• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

*** beware - isle 35 ***

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*** beware - isle 35 ***

So, a friend of mine has been looking into a 12 month contract for an Investment Bank in London, via a well-known London agency. I just can't believe the follow up email in the agents attempts to reassure him about 'ISLE 35' !!

Hi ***,

Thanks for the call just now it was a pleasure to talk to you.

As discussed I have a contract at *** that I would like you to consider.

All our contracts are Isle 35 friendly, The clauses are written in a way that falls outside of Isle 35.

From April 2020, it will no longer be a contractor’s responsibility to determine their own isle 35 status. The end client (The Banks) will be responsible for determining the contractor’s employment status and fee (recruitment agency’s), will be responsible for deducting the correct tax and national insurance.

Internal resources are being brought in to understand the legislation, perform assessments for contractors (Isle 35 project teams).

In April what you are likely to see is a raise in day rates – clients pay more to contracts to advocate for the increase in National Income Tax. [agency] will have to review CV’s and amend them accordingly.

Please feel free to read through the spec and contact me if you have any questions.

Kindest regards,
    Wrong on so many levels. If they don't even know what the legislation is called, how can they provide an accurate determination? But according to them, it's not their responsibility, it is with the bank!!!

So someone has accepted a suggested change to IR and added to their dictionary.

Hardly worth all the astericks and beware heading surely.

I think I am going to sue you for misrepresentation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      So someone has accepted a suggested change to IR and added to their dictionary.

Hardly worth all the astericks and beware heading surely.

I think I am going to sue you for misrepresentation.
      Our businesses in their hands!!! You don't find the content of that email disturbing? a) It's IR35 friendly but you go on the payroll in April 2020, b) it's down to the bank to determine IR35, when it's the agency, c) the agency will be responsible for altering CV's.

I have another pal at a very well known Asset Management company in London and apparently they aren't renewing contractors from January 2020.

Perhaps I was being optimistic but I did think the agencies would get this sorted out, else go bust. But now I'm starting to think again.
      Last edited by oliverson; 18 July 2019, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        Our businesses in their hands!!! You don't find the content of that email disturbing?
        Not in the slightest, no.

I would, however, be a little concerned the contract spans April 2020
        Last edited by northernladuk; 18 July 2019, 12:55.

Comment

Not in the slightest, no.

I would, however, be a little concerned the contract spans April 2020
          so, you're satisfied there is no risk to your business trusting it to an agency with no clue? You're happy to be hoodwinked into an 'outside IR35' contract only to be stuck on the payroll in April and you're content for your 'CV' to be altered at will by the agencies?

Perhaps contracting is no longer for you?

Comment

so, you're satisfied there is no risk to your business trusting it to an agency with no clue? You're happy to be hoodwinked into an 'outside IR35' contract only to be stuck on the payroll in April and you're content for your 'CV' to be altered at will by the agencies?

Perhaps contracting is no longer for you?
            Maybe so as I indicated but your post appears to only reference the fact they've misspelled IR.

At worst it's made a less than average attempt to mention something coming up in 10 months that we aren't really sure about. Looking at some of the stupid posts from contractors who could be directly impacted I'd say this is pretty low on the things to be bothered about right now.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 18 July 2019, 13:03.

Comment

Maybe so as I indicated but your post appears to only reference the fact they've misspelled IR.
              Man I did think you'd actually read it, you usually do!

We're going to see a lot more of this I feel as new contracts (yes there still are some) and extensions bring April 2020 into range. I'm really surprised this agency in particular are so clueless. I've dealt with them for at least 10 years. I can't reveal their name, so let's just call them Isle35 International :-D

Comment

Man I did think you'd actually read it, you usually do!

We're going to see a lot more of this I feel as new contracts (yes there still are some) and extensions bring April 2020 into range. I'm really surprised this agency in particular are so clueless. I've dealt with them for at least 10 years. I can't reveal their name, so let's just call them Isle35 International :-D
                What are they clueless about exactly?

Comment

What are they clueless about exactly?
                  if you can't infer it from reading that brief email then I suggest they may have a job for you!

Comment

if you can't infer it from reading that brief email then I suggest they may have a job for you!
                    Humour me. Why is it clueless?

Better still, someone else give their thoughts because I'm just not seeing why all the ***'s and to beware.

Comment

Working...
                    X