• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the pragmatic business like approach to IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the pragmatic business like approach to IR35?

Given that it's happening what does this mean in real terms for business planning?

Update your rate card with a column for IR35 in? How does one price in IR35?

Given that the IR35 status is per contract, does this mean any revenues earned inside IR35 are not subject to corporation and dividend tax, so your accountant needs to account for this? Will they charge extra for keeping track of this? If so, what is a fair amount to pass on to the end client for additional service costs?

Should we now insist on IR35 anti clawback clauses in our contracts with agencies, and when they make a fuss suggest they do the same with their mirror contracts?

Can CUK start it's own online service exchange? Contractors sign up, get ratings from end clients, we have a leader board. ClientCo just buys days of a given service from a given provider? (I have some time off at the minute so happy to write this in conjunction with anyone or solely)

Am I being naive here (and if so, I apologise in advance, but I've been out of contracting for a few years and am returning to the fray), or is this just a situation to be managed like any other business would?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Given that it's happening what does this mean in real terms for business planning?
    What would suity do.. Oh hang on a minute. Darn..
    Update your rate card with a column for IR35 in? How does one price in IR35?
    Add 20-30%
    Given that the IR35 status is per contract, does this mean any revenues earned inside IR35 are not subject to corporation and dividend tax, so your accountant needs to account for this?
    You really need to pull your finger out. It's a bit of a daft question bearing in mind IR35 has been around decades, it's hit the public sector already and there has been a ton of discussion about it already. There is even a sticky about it. Do some basic research.
    Will they charge extra for keeping track of this? If so, what is a fair amount to pass on to the end client for additional service costs?
    Do as I say in the reponse above and all will become clear.
    Should we now insist on IR35 anti clawback clauses in our contracts with agencies, and when they make a fuss suggest they do the same with their mirror contracts?
    No idea what this even means but I'd say no anyway.
    Can CUK start it's own online service exchange? Contractors sign up, get ratings from end clients, we have a leader board. ClientCo just buys days of a given service from a given provider? (I have some time off at the minute so happy to write this in conjunction with anyone or solely)
    No.
    Am I being naive here (and if so, I apologise in advance, but I've been out of contracting for a few years and am returning to the fray), or is this just a situation to be managed like any other business would?
    Not really naive but the standard lack of understanding and basic research that we are going to see from many contractors running up to 2020 that have just popped back up and expect everything to be fed to them personally I am afraid.

I'm sure answer your questions will only bring up other questions, it's not a straight forward situation so the best thing for you is to read up first and understand the situation. Then you can search the forums for specifics which will have probably been asked before. The sticky about working in the PS at the top of this section isn't a bad start.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been out of contracting for a few years and am returning to the fray

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What would suity do.. Oh hang on a minute. Darn..

Add 20-30%

You really need to pull your finger out. It's a bit of a daft question bearing in mind IR35 has been around decades, it's hit the public sector already and there has been a ton of discussion about it already. There is even a sticky about it. Do some basic research.

Do as I say in the reponse above and all will become clear.

No idea what this even means but I'd say no anyway.

No.

Not really naive but the standard lack of understanding and basic research that we are going to see from many contractors running up to 2020 that have just popped back up and expect everything to be fed to them personally I am afraid.

I'm sure answer your questions will only bring up other questions, it's not a straight forward situation so the best thing for you is to read up first and understand the situation. Then you can search the forums for specifics which will have probably been asked before. The sticky about working in the PS at the top of this section isn't a bad start.
        All of these questions were raised after I did my due diligence.

Comment

All of these questions were raised after I did my due diligence.
          Oh. WB Suity
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Oh. WB Suity

Comment

Pragmatic business-like approach:

Some of the people being talked about for Chancellor might be persuaded to jettison this abomination. You probably have time to wait a few weeks and see if that happens. The exception is if you are being asked to sign a contract that goes past February or so, then you might want to think about it more.

After that, if this goes through, I'd quote a rate 20-35% higher, but offering a discount for outside-IR35 jobs. The size of the increase will vary depending on a lot of different factors.

I think it would be unwise to leave your rate unchanged and then demand an uplift for inside jobs. It's better to go the other way, quote a higher rate but offer a discount for outside jobs.

Comment

Working...
              X