• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offered a 1 year extension...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
    can I just ask where 24th feb comes from ?

I am on two week notice and get paid weekly (if I do the timesheets) so was following the advice below and working back from april 2020 was hoping to give notice say 8th march and get the work and payment done in time.
    Assuming monthly payment and some length of arrears? Everyone will have to do their own sums to get it right.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Assuming monthly payment and some length of arrears? Everyone will have to do their own sums to get it right.
      Guess I got ultra lucky on this extension I just signed, up to 23rd February 2020, monthly payment terms. Allows me to sit back and watch this all unfold. Probably take a month off and then start looking again.

Comment

Had a word with the client co manager - the agency had screwed up and should've offered me 6 months, so this renewal will take me up to the beginning of Feb. Suits me. They did offer me a perm job too (no thanks).

So if a further renewal is forthcoming at that time, that's the point at which I'll need their assurances regarding status. Otherwise, time off for me while I hoover up some more certs and sun.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
          They did offer me a perm job too (no thanks).
          So if a further renewal is forthcoming at that time, that's the point at which I'll need their assurances regarding status. Otherwise, time off for me while I hoover up some more certs and sun.
          If they have offered you a perm job the surely you already know what the status is going to be and you are potentially in a spot of bother already?

Comment

If they have offered you a perm job the surely you already know what the status is going to be and you are potentially in a spot of bother already?
            Not really.

'Sure, they offered me a perm job. I'm very good and they wanted to keep me after this project is finished, so they offered me a perm job so that they'd have the ability to move me to different tasks. They can't do that while I'm running an independent business and just contracted for this project.'

Comment

This.

December 31st comes from some people thinking that you will have been assessed between Jan and March, but my date would have been around the middle/end of Feb depending on timesheet submission.

You do not want any payments going through the April payroll, and staying on beyond 6th March may well do that.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Not really.

'Sure, they offered me a perm job. I'm very good and they wanted to keep me after this project is finished, so they offered me a perm job so that they'd have the ability to move me to different tasks. They can't do that while I'm running an independent business and just contracted for this project.'
                That's exactly it (apart from the "I'm very good bit" - I don't say that out loud ).

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Not really.

Correct but not really either. Without knowing it could be one or the other or a mess in between. The fact he's been offered a 1 year extension for a role they'll take him on as a permie isn't as black and white as I made it I'll grant you but that sets alarm bells off for me big time, particularly with the 2020 coming up. Maybe he doesn't know the determination but, IMO, he certainly should be working a little harder than your average bod to make sure he knows his own status, is keeping it so and is collecting the evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                    That's exactly it (apart from the "I'm very good bit" - I don't say that out loud ).
                    Ah, but you must do so if HMRC come calling.

Comment

Correct but not really either. Without knowing it could be one or the other or a mess in between. The fact he's been offered a 1 year extension for a role they'll take him on as a permie isn't as black and white as I made it I'll grant you but that sets alarm bells off for me big time, particularly with the 2020 coming up. Maybe he doesn't know the determination but, IMO, he certainly should be working a little harder than your average bod to make sure he knows his own status, is keeping it so and is collecting the evidence.
                      All you are saying is the offer might possibly fit with inside scenarios, which is obviously true. But if the inside scenarios are there the offer is irrelevant and if they aren't there and HMRC bring to tribunal that he's been offered a permie job they'll end up quite embarrassed. It just really isn't an indicator at all.

Yes, if the 1 year extension is to move him around to different projects after this one is done, or makes him part and parcel it's a problem. If it is just because it is a long project and they value his skills on it, the extension means nothing for IR35 and neither does the job offer.

Comment

Working...
                      X