• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social Media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Media

I know it doesn't seem like much, but I've been getting a few posts on FB from The Conservatives this week who are obviously running a social media campaign. They're asking what we'd like to see changed and every chance I get I fill in and also ask my family to fill in that IR35 is our biggest problem. We also search out and "like" comments on public threads that mention how damaging IR35 will be. With the amount of credence that people give to the results from these campaigns, especially as the Tories are looking for easy wins, it doesn't cost anything and might bring it to the new administration's attention. I'm not a naive fool, but every little bit helps.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Genuine question: what are the chances of the new government rolling back or postponing the new IR35 legislation?
    Is it even possible?

Comment

Are you able to verify the authenticity of info requests on Facebook, such that you can be sure they are from the Conservative party and what their intentions are for using any data they receive?

Given the recent scandal of Cambridge Analytica and Facebook (just watched the doc 'The Great Hack' on Netflix, very eye opening ), I wouldn't be using social media to provide any info, you just can't trust what will happen to it.

Do they have a survey on their website or anyplace that avoids giving Facebook or other parasites built on exploiting user data access to it?
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Do they have a survey on their website or anyplace that avoids giving Facebook or other parasites built on exploiting user data access to it?
        I don't know, maybe you could look and paste the link here. In the meantime, I'll just keep replying on Facebook.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Poker space View Post
          Genuine question: what are the chances of the new government rolling back or postponing the new IR35 legislation?
          Is it even possible?
          Of course it is possible. Completely new government with a completely new approach and trying to target support from various sources. Contractors would be natural supporters of a pro-entrepreneurship government, if they actually stopped the war on contractors and instead supported contracting they'd get an instant surge in support. Javid historically has not been a friend of IR35, so there's certainly a chance he could at least delay another year to make sure they have it right, especially if Brexit actually goes through.

I wouldn't count on it, it's probably not going to happen, but of course it could.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Of course it is possible. Completely new government with a completely new approach and trying to target support from various sources. Contractors would be natural supporters of a pro-entrepreneurship government, if they actually stopped the war on contractors and instead supported contracting they'd get an instant surge in support. Javid historically has not been a friend of IR35, so there's certainly a chance he could at least delay another year to make sure they have it right, especially if Brexit actually goes through.

I wouldn't count on it, it's probably not going to happen, but of course it could.
            I'm starting to think it might happen, at least deferring it another year if not kicking it out altogether. I found myself in a position until recently where there was literally no party I felt I could vote for, but the tories may appear to be turning a corner under the new leadership.
            1. Abolish IR35
            2. Lift the higher rate of tax to £ 80k
            3. Lower corporation tax to around 12%
            4. Maintain the 0% BIK on electric cars that kicks in April 2020 for the forseeable

Now that would get my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Poker space View Post
              Is it even possible?
              The new government will ask their HMRC masters.

Comment

I wouldn't bet on it but wouldn't absolutely dismiss it.

Comment

Working...
                X