• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are your clients doing with IR35 reform?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
    As I understand it the insurance product will now cover the fee-payer & engager. They are encouraging the cost to be borne by the contractor (as they benefit from working outside). We are asking clients to foot the cost, we cover it for anyone we payroll if it's above a certain level.
    Interesting, thanks.

Comment

All this extra cost to the client and more duties carried out by the agents etc etc. Looks like contracting is going to be even less attractive to clients via an agency and surely will be ultimately reflected in day rates.

Greedy agents are going to have an even worse rep than they have already.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So I still have a couple of questions...

If you go permie and the role stays the same, is there a high risk that your contracts in the same role will automatically be deemed inside IR35?

If this is the case,now it the PSC or the end client who would be responsible for paying the tax owed?

Using a few take home calculators, it seems you pay about 45% (!!!!!) Of that in tax. If you are permie, you would only pay about 31% tax. This is comparing 550/day Vs 80k permie. Huge differential in tax. Given that, won't clients be better offering fixed term contracts for say 6 months. So you pay PAYE tax, but clients get to take advantage of temporary staff, no concerns about IR35 for either party, and clients pay a bit more to use a temporary resource. Fixed-term employment contracts and contracting are mutually exclusive
        Last edited by JoJoGabor; 14 August 2019, 20:29.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          So I still have a couple of questions...

If you go permie and the role stays the same, is there a high risk that your contracts in the same role will automatically be deemed inside IR35?

If this is the case,now it the PSC or the end client who would be responsible for paying the tax owed?

Using a few take home calculators, it seems you pay about 45% (!!!!!) Of that in tax. If you are permie, you would only pay about 31% tax. This is comparing 550/day Vs 80k permie. Huge differential in tax. Given that, won't clients be better offering fixed term contracts for say 6 months. So you pay PAYE tax, but clients get to take advantage of temporary staff, no concerns about IR35 for either party, and clients pay a bit more to use a temporary resource. Fixed-term employment contracts and contracting are mutually exclusive
          My understanding is that anybody who flips to permie come April 2020 will not be investigated for prior contracts.

That would be like , ok we have forced you out of contracting, and now that you are a permie we have therefore proved that you were actually inside IR35 all the time .... so cough up please. I seriously doubt that would happen .... even for HMRC.

Also, if you are earning 550/day ... that's more like 110k salary ... not 80k.

Comment

My client are converting rates to a salary by using 141xday rate. So those are the sums available to me

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
              My understanding is that anybody who flips to permie come April 2020 will not be investigated for prior contracts.
              Is that prior contracts with that client only or all contracts period though?

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                Is that prior contracts with that client only or all contracts period though?
                These are complex times. You've got to try understand it a little better that.

Comment

That would be like , ok we have forced you out of contracting, and now that you are a permie we have therefore proved that you were actually inside IR35 all the time .... so cough up please. I seriously doubt that would happen .... even for HMRC.

Also, if you are earning 550/day ... that's more like 110k salary ... not 80k.
                  when it comes to increasing the tax take, I wouldn't rule out any HMRC behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                    My client are converting rates to a salary by using 141xday rate. So those are the sums available to me
                    That number is way, way too low. Just off the top of my head and not to be taken too seriously .... contracting outside IR35 with even just 500 per day has

38K Dividends
                    9K Salary
                    40k Pension

...all without paying tax (not including Corporation tax).

So basically you need a salary that will cover that IMO.

Comment

That number is way, way too low. Just off the top of my head and not to be taken too seriously .... contracting outside IR35 with even just 500 per day has

38K Dividends
                      9K Salary
                      40k Pension

...all without paying tax (not including Corporation tax).

So basically you need a salary that will cover that IMO.
                      No you don't. There are other benefits that add to the total package like pensions, holiday, sick, bonus and the like. It's hard enough to compare the two without taking such a simplistic approach. Means nothing those numbers.

Comment

Working...
                      X