• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are your clients doing with IR35 reform?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your clients doing with IR35 reform?

Well I've had that chat with my current client, a UK based Tech firm with about 300 staff and from April 2020 they are declaring all contractors inside IR35 with a hope that all contractors will convert to permanent employees. Another client I am quite close to but not doing any work for are managing the IR35 reform quite well and aiming to keep 75% of contractors outside of IR35 and declaring them so. What are other clients doing? I need to plan what I intend to do by gauging what clients are doing at the moment to avoid the pressure to move to permanent

I go through an MSP to get to my client. The MSP have about 1000 consultants, half of which are contractors. They've been pretty good, they're using some third party consultants to go through every role they have filled by contractors, and judging each on a case-by-case basis. I don't think they're pre-determining what percentage of contractors they want to keep outside, but their actions suggest to me that the process is likely to be pretty fair at least.

I thought blanket assessments weren't allowed, or at the very least frowned upon?

Comment

I think it's a bit early to get any information that's actionable to be fair.

Mods.. Can we move this to the Ir35 Reform part of the forums. Ta.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 5 August 2019, 09:19.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Mods.. Can we move this to the Ir35 Reform part of the forums. Ta.

Done
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Well I've had that chat with my current client, a UK based Tech firm with about 300 staff and from April 2020 they are declaring all contractors inside IR35 with a hope that all contractors will convert to permanent employees.
          Client using contractors to fill permie roles.

Another client I am quite close to but not doing any work for are managing the IR35 reform quite well and aiming to keep 75% of contractors outside of IR35 and declaring them so.
          Client using contractors mostly to provide a service and they don't want permie resource.

What are other clients doing? I need to plan what I intend to do by gauging what clients are doing at the moment to avoid the pressure to move to permanent
          At interview try to assess whether the client is already using or wanting contractor(s) for permie role filling or service provision or a bit of both, then you can be more sure what their stance will be towards next April when it comes to them making the determination for IR35.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Well I've had that chat with my current client, a UK based Tech firm with about 300 staff and from April 2020 they are declaring all contractors inside IR35 with a hope that all contractors will convert to permanent employees. Another client I am quite close to but not doing any work for are managing the IR35 reform quite well and aiming to keep 75% of contractors outside of IR35 and declaring them so. What are other clients doing? I need to plan what I intend to do by gauging what clients are doing at the moment to avoid the pressure to move to permanent
            anecdotal evidence would seem to suggest that my client is taking a considered approach to the issues. However, given that I don't know if my contract will be renewed after April 2020, I'll just have to wait and see what transpires.

Comment

Mine is deeming everyone inside IR35. I've been told they could offer me a new contract in April working on a different project in a different team. I'm still not sure that would keep HMRC away though.

Comment

Originally posted by Daventry View Post
                Mine is deeming everyone inside IR35. I've been told they could offer me a new contract in April working on a different project in a different team. I'm still not sure that would keep HMRC away though.
                You should know the answer to that by now. If you don't, sort it.

Poor position to be in at this stage... but you aren't the only one by a long chalk.

Comment

I don't want to make a new thread but how will subcontracting or agencies work in this. And I get it, this is stupid question I should know the answer too already but whatever...

A person has a contract with a small company. The small company provides teams of consultants to big companies. The person is one of these consultants. The person works with lots of these big companies, but always through the small company and only ever has contracts with the small company.

As the contracts are with a small company, it sounds like so far they will not fall under the new requirements to determine IR35 status. So no change? It is still responsibility of the person?

Comment

You should already know the answer to that so, whatever.

If you are trying to invent a solution to get around it then don't bother. Many were suggested and all failed when the changes his the Public Sector.

Don't get carried away letting the tax tail wag the dog. Is it even remotely realistic a small company can do that.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 August 2019, 08:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X