• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector - Extention offered inside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector - Extention offered inside IR35

Hi,

I have a contract with a Public Sector body deemed to be outside of IR35 (as determined by the client using CEST in 2018 when my contract started) which runs out in October 2019. I have been told that any extensions will be offered inside IR35 now. I have been told that this will be applicable to all contractors in the organisation - seems as though they are making 'blanket' determinations now (this seems in correct in it's own right, but that's another story).

If I did accept the extension inside IR35 on a higher negotiated day rate, would I be a target for a HMRC investigation due to changing status on the same contract or would any liability reside with the client?

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by DoubleL View Post
    Hi,

I have a contract with a Public Sector body deemed to be outside of IR35 (as determined by the client using CEST in 2018 when my contract started) which runs out in October 2019. I have been told that any extensions will be offered inside IR35 now. I have been told that this will be applicable to all contractors in the organisation - seems as though they are making 'blanket' determinations now (this seems in correct in it's own right, but that's another story).

If I did accept the extension inside IR35 on a higher negotiated day rate, would I be a target for a HMRC investigation due to changing status on the same contract or would any liability reside with the client?

There is anecdotal evidence that HMRC are going after contractors who switch from outside to inside IR35 with the same client, but there’s probably a load of contractors like that.

So it’s basically down to your appetite for risk.

Are you feeling lucky?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

1. Yes, there's a risk that the previous contract would be targeted by HMRC. Since the determination was based on CEST I suspect the risk is not high at all and that HMRC isn't going to want to oppose CEST in a tribunal.
      2. In any event, the liability in that case would rest with the fee payer, and not with you.

So I really doubt you have anything to worry about.

If we were talking a contract from before 'reform', you might have a very high risk. But since we're talking about a contract that the client deemed to be outside, and based on CEST at that, I can't see how it would generate any liability for you.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        1. Yes, there's a risk that the previous contract would be targeted by HMRC. Since the determination was based on CEST I suspect the risk is not high at all and that HMRC isn't going to want to oppose CEST in a tribunal.
        2. In any event, the liability in that case would rest with the fee payer, and not with you.

So I really doubt you have anything to worry about.

If we were talking a contract from before 'reform', you might have a very high risk. But since we're talking about a contract that the client deemed to be outside, and based on CEST at that, I can't see how it would generate any liability for you.
        Only for the tax post April 2020 I would think?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Only for the tax post April 2020 I would think?
          Have you overlooked this?
          I have a contract with a Public Sector body

Comment

Have you overlooked this?
            Yep, I had.

Comment

Hi,

YES.

You are now 2+ years into IR35 for public bodies and a change now whilst doing the same job is almost certain to bring enquiry - IF THEY SPOT YOU.

Being in a herd is protection of a sort.

You might want to ask why the job suddenly moves to inside after so long outside?
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                You might want to ask why the job suddenly moves to inside after so long outside?
                A very good question. Quiet words in ears perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  YES.

You are now 2+ years into IR35 for public bodies and a change now whilst doing the same job is almost certain to bring enquiry - IF THEY SPOT YOU.
                  But, 1) CEST was used which should be a high level of protection and 2) the liability isn't his anyway, so why should he care?

Comment

But, 1) CEST was used which should be a high level of protection and 2) the liability isn't his anyway, so why should he care?
                    There’s no harm in completing and recording a supportive CEST determination (accuracy aside), but I wouldn’t rely on HRMC standing by it (i.e., not pursuing further because of it), as there’s already evidence to the contrary
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 15 December 2019, 16:41.

Comment

Working...
                    X