• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the general % split between public sector contracts being In or Out of IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the general % split between public sector contracts being In or Out of IR35?

As the IR35 changes have been in the public sector for a while, is there now a general feeling as how clients have reacted?

Have they generally flagged most contracts as in IR35?

Of the available public sector contracts are they generally in IR35 still?

Have clients offered increased rates for contracts In IR35?

The reason I ask...is I'm trying to judge what will happen in the private sector and how like I will be to find a contract is that actually OUT of IR35?

We don’t know what the percentage will be and you can’t use the Public Sector to judge the effect on the Private Sector, the Public Sector and HMRC have the same paymaster after all.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      We don’t know what the percentage will be and you can’t use the Public Sector to judge the effect on the Private Sector, the Public Sector and HMRC have the same paymaster after all.
      This. And many other reasons they just can't be compared.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know we can't compare them exactly, I'm just looking for a rough order of magnitude. 1%, 10%, 50% ?

I don't know anyone contracting in the public sector, so I have no idea what's actually happened and I'm interested to hear what people have seen happen.

Comment

90% I would say

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            90% I would say

A reasonable number I reckon. Let’s hope it’s as high as 10% outside.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Cran View Post
              I know we can't compare them exactly, I'm just looking for a rough order of magnitude. 1%, 10%, 50% ?

I don't know anyone contracting in the public sector, so I have no idea what's actually happened and I'm interested to hear what people have seen happen.
              Why, if you don't mind me asking? What is the point you are trying to make? A percentage is pointless if you don't know the number of gigs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                90% I would say

I'd say thats 80% accurate.

Comment

I'm about to buy a house and trying to anticipate my likely income over the next 10 years.

10% sounds reasonable, so its pretty unlikely that I will find a contract Out of IR35.

For public sector contracts, have contractors been able to ask for an extra £50-100 per day to cover the loss of earnings or are clients offering slightly high rates? I think to earn the same as I was before, I'd need to charge £170 extra per day, which I can't see happening.

Again, just trying to gauge the feeling, rather than an exact number

Comment

Originally posted by Cran View Post
                    I'm about to buy a house and trying to anticipate my likely income over the next 10 years.

10% sounds reasonable, so its pretty unlikely that I will find a contract Out of IR35.

For public sector contracts, have contractors been able to ask for an extra £50-100 per day to cover the loss of earnings or are clients offering slightly high rates? I think to earn the same as I was before, I'd need to charge £170 extra per day, which I can't see happening.

Again, just trying to gauge the feeling, rather than an exact number
                    Even if you could find such cases - PsychoCandy managed to get a rate increase, for example (I know, right?) - I don't think they'll be representative, post April 2020. Up until April 2020, the PS has been at a disadvantage and needed to attract people. That will change in April 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X