• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxed but not benefiting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    It says "Employment status of the worker", not "of the employee". Workers and employees are different beasts, and since the employees' status is pretty clear anyway, rights as an employee have no part in the discussion since workers aren't entitled to them.

As has been said many times, the FTT and the ET use the same criteria, but they are applied to entirely different cases. There is no legal requirement, much less case law, to combine the two which work on entirely separate laws anyway. And personally I doubt there ever will be.

Why do you think workers are not entitled to rights?

Employment status: Worker - GOV.UK

Employment rights
    Workers are entitled to certain employment rights, including:

getting the National Minimum Wage
    protection against unlawful deductions from wages
    the statutory minimum level of paid holiday
    the statutory minimum length of rest breaks
    to not work more than 48 hours on average per week or to opt out of this right if they choose
    protection against unlawful discrimination
    protection for ‘whistleblowing’ - reporting wrongdoing in the workplace
    to not be treated less favourably if they work part-time
    They may also be entitled to:

Statutory Sick Pay
    Statutory Maternity Pay
    Statutory Paternity Pay
    Statutory Adoption Pay
    Shared Parental Pay

Yes we are aware the courts are separate however the client can now be taken to the ET due to their determination. There is also the question of MOO, a key distinction between an Employee and a Worker at an Employee Tribunal IMO, and also a key indicator if an engagement falls inside or outside of IR35 something a client must decide if it is present or absent when using reasonable care in their determination.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 22 August 2019, 15:44.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      Why do you think workers are not entitled to rights?

Employment status: Worker - GOV.UK

Employment rights
      Workers are entitled to certain employment rights, including:

getting the National Minimum Wage
      protection against unlawful deductions from wages
      the statutory minimum level of paid holiday
      the statutory minimum length of rest breaks
      to not work more than 48 hours on average per week or to opt out of this right if they choose
      protection against unlawful discrimination
      protection for ‘whistleblowing’ - reporting wrongdoing in the workplace
      to not be treated less favourably if they work part-time
      They may also be entitled to:

Statutory Sick Pay
      Statutory Maternity Pay
      Statutory Paternity Pay
      Statutory Adoption Pay
      Shared Parental Pay
      I think the right to paid holidays will be the cruncher. What is the statutory minimum? Ms. Winchester's claim for holiday pay must have been based on some statutory figure.

Looks like 28 including Bank Holidays. I guess some organisations will pay more based on years of service -

How much annual leave am I entitled to by law, and when can I take it? | WorkSmart: The career coach that works for everyone
      Last edited by JohntheBike; 22 August 2019, 15:28.

Comment

OK, but being an employed worker is not the same as being an employee. To understand why, start from here...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

OK, but being an employed worker is not the same as being an employee. To understand why, start from here...
          Notice the last sentence of that link
          Workers are entitled to some statutory rights, including those in relation to the national minimum wage, working hours and annual leave.

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
            Notice the last sentence of that link
            Some, not all
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The point I'm making is there is no such thing as an inside ir35 contractor anymore. The changes being made do align tax and employment by using the worker status for worker or self employed. A contractor is either self-employed (psc irrelevant), a worker or employee.

In the guidance released today their is no mention of CEST or working practice review just a simple worker/self employed/employee decision. So if employment status is the deciding factor which court case law should a client co law team look to ET or FTT?
              Last edited by BlueSharp; 22 August 2019, 18:54.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

The point I'm making is there is no such thing as an inside ir35 contractor anymore. The changes being made do align tax and employment by using the worker status for worker or self employed. A contractor is either self-employed (psc irrelevant), a worker or employee.

In the guidance released today their is no mention of CEST or working practice review just a simple worker/self employed/employee decision. So if employment status is the deciding factor which court case law should a client co law team look to ET or FTT?
                Point of order - I've been saying that the clients are putting people into employment while avoiding the associated costs and responsibilities for at least three years now. I don't need that bit explaining. Moreover I was blogging nearly 10 years back that HMG should be chasing the client, not the contractor.

It's just that the legal framework to resolve that through the courts is not yet an option, nor, unless someone persuades HMG that what they are doing is wrong, will it ever be.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Some, not all
                  so exactly what paid leave would a worker be entitled to and how would this differ from what a full employee would be entitled to? If there is any paid leave entitlement at all for a worker, then that is a potential cost to the client if an individual is adjudged as a worker.

Given all the risks, I would tend to agree with NLUK, in that many private sector clients are likely to move to umbrella or agency PAYE models.

Comment

Point of order - I've been saying that the clients are putting people into employment while avoiding the associated costs and responsibilities for at least three years now. I don't need that bit explaining. Moreover I was blogging nearly 10 years back that HMG should be chasing the client, not the contractor.

It's just that the legal framework to resolve that through the courts is not yet an option, nor, unless someone persuades HMG that what they are doing is wrong, will it ever be.
                    I've been saying that the clients are putting people into employment while avoiding the associated costs and responsibilities for at least three years now.

Moreover I was blogging nearly 10 years back that HMG should be chasing the client, not the contractor.
                    I was saying this in 2000!

Comment

So if employment status is the deciding factor which court case law should a client co law team look to ET or FTT
                      given that no one has been able to answer my question regarding what factors each court should consider, there should be no difference. However, that remains to be seen. Remember that the FTT used to be called The Commissioners for Taxes and then and now there is no mention of "employment" in the court's title.

Comment

Working...
                      X