• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC dirt tricks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not my area but it suprised me a bit, so I did some digging...

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    In particular, while the Chartered Institute of Taxation outlined to the Revenue at the time -- more than a year ago -- why Mutuality should be included in CEST, the CIOT says it was asked not to disclose that it did so until this month.
    That reads ambiguoulsy. It was publicly raised in August 2018:

Originally posted by CIOT website
    the reality is that views will differ in relation to the approach taken on, say, ‘mutuality of obligation’ (MOO) (which we think should be considered but is not presently addressed)
    The comment on the delay comes from the article linked to in the original article:

Originally posted by Tax Advisor Magazine
    The CIOT responded in April 2019 but can only now report on our submission.
    While this is dated 1 August 2019, the magazine has some long deadlines. It looks like the submissions were actually published on 28 May 2019, per the CIOT website. So not the longest delay. Obviously, I may not be right on this as there may be something else published later that also mentions MOO (this just isn't my area).

As an aside, there are regular meetings with HMRC and Treasury on various issues. Some can be discussed publicly. Some discussed under the Chatham House rules. Some cannot be discussed as a condition of having the meeting (e.g. when civil servants are shooting the breeze with furture changes or where they want to discuss draft legislation or draft amendments to Finance Bills). To me, this is entirely fair if you want workable policies and workable legislation.

before the draft Finance Bill, now before parliament, became a reality
    This is not quite right. The draft Finance Bill is not before Parliament. It is a draft for public consultation. It will first go before Parliament when it is an actual Finance Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
      This is not quite right. The draft Finance Bill is not before Parliament. It is a draft for public consultation. It will first go before Parliament when it is an actual Finance Bill.
      Yurp. Who knows when the next budget will be? Possibly Oct or Nov. May then take 3mo or so to work through the Parliamentary process. As of now, it's just a draft for consultation, not before Parliament.

Comment

ok, thanks, got it!
        So old dogs can learn new tricks!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Kind of funny but starting and ending commands in text editors existed back in the MS DOS days of Wordstar and MS Word 2.x so technically he leaning tricks from the 1980s
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Kind of funny but starting and ending commands in text editors existed back in the MS DOS days of Wordstar and MS Word 2.x so technically he leaning tricks from the 1980s
            I knew that but I didn't know that you were old enough to know that.

I was using Wordstar in the 80s. It was a hard thing to give it up and move to Word, I held out until 93 or something. I actually still had it around and pulled it up a couple years ago to look at it and couldn't figure out how I was ever able to do anything in it.

Comment

guys, JtB supports some heritage COBOL application, running on a mainframe system he has no real understanding of.
              microcomputers will be difficult for him.

Comment

absolutely! I've always said that barely a week goes by without my learning something new!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  guys, JtB supports some heritage COBOL application, running on a mainframe system he has no real understanding of.
                  microcomputers will be difficult for him.

well, given that I wrote software in the 80's which is embedded in commercially available mainframe software, your claim that I know nothing about IBM mainframes is way off the mark. I also was involved in writing software in Assembler for an in house Network data base, not much different from Total and Image (if you know what they are!) Additionally, I would claim to be well informed about the HP3000 platform, since I've supported applications on that technology since 1986 and I rarely wrote any COBOL programs on that platform.

Don't forget that I'd had many years of IT experience before PC's were even invented. According to IBM's claim, I worked on a model of the World's first commercially successful computer, when more than 50% of the World's computers were of this model - IBM1401.

I was writing assembler programs when many on here were floating around in a sac.

Comment

well, given that I wrote software in the 80's which is embedded in commercially available mainframe software, your claim that I know nothing about IBM mainframes is way off the mark. etc
                    Really?

Do we have to do all of this again on yet another thread, spoiling it for everybody?

Can we not ALL grow up and leave playground jibes where they belong - in General?
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I knew that but I didn't know that you were old enough to know that.

I was using Wordstar in the 80s. It was a hard thing to give it......
                      My word, yes. A name from the past. Completely forgot that program. Think I had cause to use it also in the 80s, and I think then Word Perfect(?) might have been a follow up before the world went Word.

Comment

Working...
                      X