• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC dirt tricks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC dirt tricks

Taxman ‘not doing enough’ to prepare contractors’ clients for IR35 reform

Yet it is HMRC’s disagreement in July 2018 with almost all accounting, legal and status advisers about MOO being excluded from CEST, which was yesterday exercising experts.

In particular, while the Chartered Institute of Taxation outlined to the Revenue at the time -- more than a year ago -- why Mutuality should be included in CEST, the CIOT says it was asked not to disclose that it did so until this month.

CIOT Member Graham Webber, tax director at WTT Consulting reflected last night: “Whilst the CIOT view is to be welcomed, it would have obviously been better to have shared this in real time and before the draft Finance Bill, now before parliament, became a reality.

“I suspect it is HMRC who insisted that a view contrary to own, discussed perhaps six months ago and reduced to writing 4 months ago, was delayed from publication.”
    what chance has any lobbying organisation have when the CIOT can be "persuaded" by HMRC not to publish details which are contrary to HMRC policy!
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 20 August 2019, 11:47. Reason: Make clearer NLUK

Which bit of the above is quoted and which bit is your point? Confusing post.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I mean, this isn't hard to determine.

Start of quote denoted by "
      Start of speech denoted by “
      End of speech denoted by ”
      End of quote denoted by the same as the opening punctuation: "

JTB's comment is just the part at the end:
      Originally posted by JohnTheBike
      what chance has any lobbying organisation have when the CIOT can be "persuaded" by HMRC not to publish details which are contrary to HMRC policy!
      Perhaps the "persuaded" could have been in single quotes instead but I don't feel that was your complaint.

Or you could have clicked through the link JTB provided if you were interested enough.

Comment

Originally posted by fibio View Post

Perhaps the "persuaded" could have been in single quotes instead but I don't feel that was your complaint.

Or you could have clicked through the link JTB provided if you were interested enough.
        as a result of previous criticisms, I had asked how I might encapsulate what I was quoting in a window, but no one has advised. As I've said, I'm an IBM mainframe dinosaur and I'm not that familiar with PC techniques.

Comment

Hope my edit helped.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            as a result of previous criticisms, I had asked how I might encapsulate what I was quoting in a window, but no one has advised. As I've said, I'm an IBM mainframe dinosaur and I'm not that familiar with PC techniques.
            just put (squarebracket)quote(squarebracket) in front and close it with the same except put /quote

Like dis...

Yet it is HMRC’s disagreement in July 2018 with almost all accounting, legal and status advisers about MOO being excluded from CEST, which was yesterday exercising experts.

In particular, while the Chartered Institute of Taxation outlined to the Revenue at the time -- more than a year ago -- why Mutuality should be included in CEST, the CIOT says it was asked not to disclose that it did so until this month.

CIOT Member Graham Webber, tax director at WTT Consulting reflected last night: “Whilst the CIOT view is to be welcomed, it would have obviously been better to have shared this in real time and before the draft Finance Bill, now before parliament, became a reality.

“I suspect it is HMRC who insisted that a view contrary to own, discussed perhaps six months ago and reduced to writing 4 months ago, was delayed from publication.”
            Last edited by northernladuk; 20 August 2019, 11:36.

Comment

just put (squarebracket)quote(squarebracket) in front and close it with the same except put /quote
              thanks, I'll try that next time.

Comment

Originally posted by fibio View Post

It's gone now but with quotes within the article itself I'm sure that logic would have failed.. But it's fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  thanks, I'll try that next time.
                  Better still there is a little icon with a speech bubble in the tools at the top of the post. That puts it in for you. You just paste the text in to it.

Comment

Better still there is a little icon with a speech bubble in the tools at the top of the post. That puts it in for you. You just paste the text in to it.
                    ok, thanks, got it!
                    Last edited by JohntheBike; 20 August 2019, 11:47.

Comment

Working...
                    X