• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSK - advice for a newbie please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HelpNeeded101 View Post
    Hello All

I am about to finish up my 6 month contract with a client this month and am in discussions for a 6-month IT Project Management contract opportunity with GSK at their head office in Brentford, W London.

I am optimistic I will be made an offer soon.
    I'm excited to work for such a flagship client but what makes me somewhat apprehensive is all the news with regards to HMRC and IR35, should I be worried to take on this assignment, will it put me under the tax man’s magnifying glass? As you can imagine, I want to ensure I protect myself but also secure a role.

I would be very grateful for your advice
    I am still waiting on a concrete gameplan here folks...would someone kindly advise any Dos and Don'ts

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      You know you will be inside IR35 right ? Did you discuss status at interview or with agent ?

Why are you worried about HMRC when you will pay all tax upfront ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Pay all tax upfront?

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but why would I be inside IR35 simply for working at GSK, a huge organisation with countless projects?
        I am a genuine IT contractor who moves around to different clients on average every 12 months and this opportunity is very much a temporary role in the IT PM. function.

I expect to work there as a limited company and pay my corporate tax and VAT fair and square (nothing dodgy) without the typical perks of holidays, pension and sick pay that come with permanent jobs!
        Because they will declare you inside IR35 to HMRC

Who have you been getting your contacts checked with before this role ? -

Qdos or such like or DIY/accountant?

PM/BA will all be caught roles

Comment

I am still waiting on a concrete gameplan here folks...would someone kindly advise any Dos and Don'ts [emoji33]
          You'll never be outside with that attitude. IR35 is not a tickbox exercise. You have to learn what it is, understand and why it exists and then act appropriately in any given circumstances. .

Do you really think it's a good idea to be taking a gig that HMRC thinks is inside when you appear not to know enough about Ir35 to know what outside is let alone defend it. Asking what to do before you go in to a client that is already under the radar?

This is really not the gig for you in my honest opinion.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 15 September 2019, 11:26.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You'll never be outside with that attitude. IR35 is not a tickbox exercise. You have to learn what it is, understand and why it exists and then act appropriately in any given circumstances. .

Do you really think it's a good idea to be taking a gig that HMRC thinks is inside when you appear not to know enough about Ir35 to know what outside is let alone defend it. Asking what to do before you go in to a client that is already under the radar?

This is really not the gig for you in my honest opinion.
            Thanks for your feedback and I concede your first comment; I do need to be more receptive.

But before declining this gig entirely, are there some quick win measures I can take to safeguard myself from being inside in HMRC'S view.

For example, getting IR35 insurance, adding WFH flex and a substitute into my agency contract

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Because they will declare you inside IR35 to HMRC

Who have you been getting your contacts checked with before this role ? -

Qdos or such like or DIY/accountant?

PM/BA will all be caught roles

Sorry, I thought end clients only had to categorise their freelance workers as inside or outside from April 2020.
              So surely there will be no declaration to the HMRC from GSK until then? I am asking about the short term I.e now to end of March

Comment

Thanks for your feedback and I concede your first comment; I do need to be more receptive.

But before declining this gig entirely, are there some quick win measures I can take to safeguard myself from being inside in HMRC'S view.

For example, getting IR35 insurance, adding WFH flex and a substitute into my agency contract
                You are going in to an environment where HMRC are on the hunt for people EXACTLY like you and you want quick wins? I very much doubt you are going to get any insurance for it for a start. QDOS have stated they will not insure anyone with a letter that hasn't got it already so not sure why they'd insure people going in to that environment without a clue.

But quick wins? No there isn't any.

Comment

Sorry, I thought end clients only had to categorise their freelance workers as inside or outside from April 2020.
                  So surely there will be no declaration to the HMRC from GSK until then? I am asking about the short term I.e now to end of March
                  Again, no understanding. You are missing these points just to name a few.

When the determination will be made (hint, much earlier than April)
                  When you need to leave to not have your last payment after April
                  What you do if you think you are in an outside gig and they say inside
                  and much more.

And that's just for starters.

Please.. go do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You are going in to an environment where HMRC are on the hunt for people EXACTLY like you and you want quick wins? I very much doubt you are going to get any insurance for it for a start. QDOS have stated they will not insure anyone with a letter that hasn't got it already so not sure why they'd insure people going in to that environment without a clue.

But quick wins? No there isn't any.
                    Exactly. Which is why I suggested permanency....

Comment

Lol - funny

Good luck fella when HMRC are at your door

Comment

Working...
                      X