• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSK - advice for a newbie please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HelpNeeded101 View Post
    Thanks very much - would you kindly be able to recommended any Umbrella companies or any to avoid?
    Try these.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      No. IR35 insurance is not optional, it's not mandated, but you'll need it if you contract in the UK and want to off-load any investigation to a professional. It's personal protection. Get some.
      Thanks, I will get some and also ask them about GSK too.
      I hear about QDOS alot, will give them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Try these.
        Thanks - I appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Again, no understanding. You are missing these points just to name a few.

When the determination will be made (hint, much earlier than April)
          When you need to leave to not have your last payment after April
          What you do if you think you are in an outside gig and they say inside
          and much more.

And that's just for starters.

Please.. go do some research.

A HUGE thanks for everyone's advice- I did some research and below is my 4 step plan of attack:
          1) Get IR35 insurance ASAP, regardless of the GSK gig, if anything for piece of mind
          2) Ask my (to be) insurer about GSK and the word on the street with regards to the spotlight from HMRC
          3) Review GSK / Agency contract carefully with insurer (assuming I get the gig)
          4) Try and add substitution and WFH controls explicitly into the contract if not in there already
          Last edited by HelpNeeded101; 15 September 2019, 21:28.

Comment

I will phone QDOS tomorrow to ascertain if they will insure me for the GSK gig (still waiting on a concrete offer) , if they don't I will assume there's a BIG risk and not move forward but if they do insure me, do you suppose I should entertain the idea of moving forward?
            You just aren't getting it are you? It's a big risk even if they do insure you. The fact they might not tells you you are absolutely stuffed. 1500 GSK contractors already have HMRC breathing down their necks and have insurance. All that insurance does is to represent you if you get investigated. You might not win and QDOS can pull out if they believe there is no chance of a win. Where will you be then?

An investigation can take up to two years to complete whatever the outcome. That's a lot of sleepless nights.

Insurance is not the silver bullet you seem to think it is.

Should you go forward if QDOS insure you? No. You are just the contractor HMRC is looking for, a clueless sitting duck. When you shaft yourself and QDOS pull out you won't be sitting so pretty.

That said. If you do go forward, and let's be honest, looking at all this rubbish you are going to regardless, then at least go via an umbrella.

Go to Contractor Umbrella if you can although the agent is likely to have a preferred list.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 16 September 2019, 01:19.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's never been a requirement from any job agencies.
              Jesus. How is it even possible for someone to contract for 7 years and be this clueless?

Kinda makes one wonder why HMRC didn't do all this earlier.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 16 September 2019, 01:25.

Comment

A HUGE thanks for everyone's advice- I did some research and below is my 4 step plan of attack:
                4 steps to avoid trouble at the only client in the news. This is going to be good.
                1) Get IR35 insurance ASAP, regardless of the GSK gig, if anything for piece of mind
                Too late for that. They will not represent you for gigs prior to taking it out. So at present it's only for the GSK gig. Once HMRC gets a sniff of you from your name on a GSK list and they dig a little bit more.. Well. As Tarbie says.
                2) Ask my (to be) insurer about GSK and the word on the street with regards to the spotlight from HMRC
                No need. Add Seb Marley to your LinkedIn, read his articles on here and read the blogs on the QDOS site. It's all there.

I very much doubt they will give you advice as they could be legally responsible if it turns out to be the wrong one later.
                3) Review GSK / Agency contract carefully with insurer (assuming I get the gig)
                Well that's part of Item 1. You won't get insurance without a contract review.

Plenty of people on GSK site have reviewed contracts and HMRC are still after them.

Doesn't matter what it says on the contract anyway, it's working practices and in your case so close to April, what the client determines the role to be.
                4) Try and add substitution and WFH controls explicitly into the contract if not in there already
                Is that all you think you need for Ir35? Substitution will be in there already, just need to check if it's fettered or not. I cannot believe that agents are sending out non compliant contracts at this stage.

WFH has next to F all to do with IR35. Permies can work from home as well..

So all in all point 1 fair enough, the rest is rubbish.

Point 2 should be - go learn about Ir35
                Point 3 should be - go umbrella because you are clueless.

Sorted.

It's very frustrating trying to help someone that just isn't willing to listen.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 16 September 2019, 01:35.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  It's very frustrating trying to help someone that just isn't willing to listen.
                  This is more a case, I think, of someone who's willing to listen, but seems to have difficulty understanding.

Also, another simple question, can I keep my limited company open while operating via an umbrella for the 6 month gsk gig?
                  Yes. But your limited company will have no income. Furthermore, if you have only one contract via a specific brolly, you cannot claim any T&S expenses, it is is considered to be a permanent job.

It's never been a requirement from any job agencies. I always thought IR35 insurance was optional not a must have
                  IR35 insurance will never be a requirement from agencies - they don't care. It's for your protection.

When choosing a brolly, if they offer any schemes to increase your take-home pay - ignore them and look for another.

Plenty of people have chosen to work through brollies for years - before the changes to IR35 happened. They've managed perfectly well. It's a financial hit is all. You're still (usually) paid more than permies, especially at the higher skilled end.

<mod note>OK, we've established that the poster is rather naive, and that after seven years, they still are missing fairly basic knowledge, but they've shown resilience, and a willingness to learn, so please lay off the sarky comments now.</mod note>
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    <mod note>OK, we've established that the poster is rather naive, and that after seven years, they still are missing fairly basic knowledge, but they've shown resilience, and a willingness to learn, so please lay off the sarky comments now.</mod note>
                    Agreed.

OP, to be perfectly clear, no one knows exactly the future. No one knows what is going to come of HMRC's GSK fishing expedition. No one knows if HMRC is going to continue going after people at GSK. No one knows when GSK will issue IR35 determinations, and whether or not they will do so for a contract that terminates and all payments made before 6 April 2020.

There are huge risks here of ending up inside IR35 for the contract. That's not necessarily the end of the world, it's just one contract, but without some reassurance you want it to pay well enough after IR35 taxes, if you take it. Or, you can take out QDOS TLC35, if they will offer it to you. I doubt they would for this gig, but you can ask.

The guys on this thread are for the most part emphasising the risks, but we really don't know what will happen. It's good to emphasise the risks to someone who seems not to understand them. I don't think that should scare you away from the job. If you can afford the IR35 taxes, and want the job, go for it! There's nothing wrong with going inside IR35 for a six month gig. If you think it is outside IR35 and can get a review from QDOS or someone saying it is outside, then operate it as outside, and push back if you get an inside determination before the job is done. But keep money in reserve to pay the IR35 taxes in case you need it, because the risk is high.

That's for this contract. If they offer you a renewal, chances are high it will be declared inside, even if this one is outside. If you renew with an inside determination, you'd have a very hard time arguing that the first six months should be outside, if challenged. So you probably should plan, at the very least, on either being ready to pay IR35 tax for the whole thing, or else leaving before renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      Agreed.

OP, to be perfectly clear, no one knows exactly the future. No one knows what is going to come of HMRC's GSK fishing expedition. No one knows if HMRC is going to continue going after people at GSK. No one knows when GSK will issue IR35 determinations, and whether or not they will do so for a contract that terminates and all payments made before 6 April 2020.

There are huge risks here of ending up inside IR35 for the contract. That's not necessarily the end of the world, it's just one contract, but without some reassurance you want it to pay well enough after IR35 taxes, if you take it. Or, you can take out QDOS TLC35, if they will offer it to you. I doubt they would for this gig, but you can ask.

The guys on this thread are for the most part emphasising the risks, but we really don't know what will happen. It's good to emphasise the risks to someone who seems not to understand them. I don't think that should scare you away from the job. If you can afford the IR35 taxes, and want the job, go for it! There's nothing wrong with going inside IR35 for a six month gig. If you think it is outside IR35 and can get a review from QDOS or someone saying it is outside, then operate it as outside, and push back if you get an inside determination before the job is done. But keep money in reserve to pay the IR35 taxes in case you need it, because the risk is high.

That's for this contract. If they offer you a renewal, chances are high it will be declared inside, even if this one is outside. If you renew with an inside determination, you'd have a very hard time arguing that the first six months should be outside, if challenged. So you probably should plan, at the very least, on either being ready to pay IR35 tax for the whole thing, or else leaving before renewal.
                      A MASSIVE thanks for your advice, I truly appreciate it.
                      So do you think going the Umbrella route would be a safer option (as some other posters here suggested).

I was told during the the interview stage by the client / GSK hiring manager, that this could be an 18 month role (6 x 3 contracts).

I know going Umbrella will reduce my take home (downside) but it will surely protect from IR35 and HMRC door knocking right? (upside..no sleepless nights )

Comment

Working...
                      X