• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSK - advice for a newbie please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HelpNeeded101 View Post
    just got an email from QDOS, they reviewed the Lorien contract and it is outside IR 35 according to them
    I don't think anyone thought it would be anything but that TBH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hello All..a huge thanks for your advice and attention

I need to respond to GSK / Lorien tomorrow, my position will be:

After completing the QDOS working practices questionnaire and HMRC tool, I believe this assignment is way inside IR35 (regardless of academic contract) and with HMRC having a microscope on contractors there.

Based on this I cannot proceed to join GSK as outside IR 35 so can (1) proceed as inside Ir 35 from the outset and if GSK want to up my rate to reflect the extra tax or (2) sorry, I cannot accept the risk...please go to market for a clueless chump (me before I joined this message board) or look internally for an already / about to be caught contractor on site with less to lose.

Comment

After completing the QDOS working practices questionnaire and HMRC tool, I believe this assignment is way inside IR35 (regardless of academic contract) and with HMRC having a microscope on contractors there.

Based on this I cannot proceed to join GSK as outside IR 35 so can (1) proceed as inside Ir 35 from the outset and if GSK want to up my rate to reflect the extra tax or (2) sorry, I cannot accept the risk...please go to market for a clueless chump (me before I joined this message board) or look internally for an already / about to be caught contractor on site with less to lose.
        PS - I know the GSK hiring manager (a permie) from a previous and different assignment so want to be respectful..plus might explore going permanent in April 2020 ***if*** contracting is less lucrative in 2020
        Last edited by HelpNeeded101; 22 September 2019, 08:29.

Comment

Please tell us you are joking.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Please tell us you are joking.....
            I obviously will wordsmith it but yeah that is overall message (1) go inside if I can be compensated (2) decline gig

Comment

Why not accept the contract as inside and continue to look for a better gig?
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

We spoke about this in private chat. For a start they will know you are talking rubbish about the inside determination, second because you are talking rubbish they request for more money to go inside will have them rolling around on the floor.

You want to keep them sweet so making yourself look clueless isn't the best way to go really is it?

Just tell them you can't take the gig because you client extend you. Happens all the time and no one I will bat an eye lid. Why mess about with half truths and demands when there is no need?

87 posts of advice and still aren't done.

Comment

We spoke about this in private chat. For a start they will know you are talking rubbish about the inside determination, second because you are talking rubbish they request for more money to go inside will have them rolling around on the floor.

You want to keep them sweet so making yourself look clueless isn't the best way to go really is it?

Just tell them you can't take the gig because you client extend you. Happens all the time and no one I will bat an eye lid. Why mess about with half truths and demands when there is no need?

87 posts of advice and still aren't done.
                  Forgive me, how am I talking rubbish, if you go by the working practice questionnaire for both QDOS and HMRC and what I understand about the role, this does fall inside.

I am genuinely concerned, hence am giving them an option if they want me (no one has a gun to their head) should offer me to cover my drop in take home (by declaring myself inside)
                  I cannot say I have found another gig as you know from our private message exchange I told them I was keen prior to coming to this forum and having been educated by you all

Comment

You said QDOS said it was outside.

You told us your client has decided to extend you so you are no longer available.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 September 2019, 19:33.

Comment

You said QDOS said it was outside.

You told us your client has decided to extend you so you are no longer available.

After completing the QDOS working practices questionnaire and HMRC tool, I believe this assignment is way inside IR35 (***regardless of academic contract***) and with HMRC having a microscope on contractors there

Yes but my current client has hmtood me the additional month is the ceiling/ max.
                      The GSK gig will be 1 yr according to the hiring manager

Comment

Working...
                      X