• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disagreeing with client IR35 determination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Not being worked on.

Awaiting a Finance Bill, which is awaiting a budget, which might otherwise have been expected around November. Now? Who knows.
    I predict that as even BoJo cannot get a majority for a vote of no confidence in himself, the budget will be presented, but not get a finance bill passed.
    And BoJo will just limply hang around till his popularity is so low that either the 1922 committe bin him or he resigns, and then we'll get a GE after they've chosen a new great leader.

If Labour have any sense (not enough do) they'll steal a march by binng JC at conference to be ahead of the game when that happens. Unfortunatley the Kult is strong.

Suffice to say, unless BoJo can get a GE in the next 4/5/6 weeks, there isn't going to be a finance bill 2019.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Yes, but, realistically, there *must* be a budget, one way or the other, so they can continue to raise revenue and spend. It's just a question of precisely when and who will be delivering it. But, let's face it, among the range of options, a Tory budget may be bad, but it could be worse...
      if there's no budget taxation doesn't just cease. It will continue. And spending will just continue.
      IR35 legislation could potentially be a bill on its own, as long as it wasn't brought in by the government.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        There is absolutely no way that I would take on an ET - too expensive and too much of a gamble.

And I very much doubt that anyone else would either unless they are rich, proud AND stupid.
        or in a union willing to take it on.
        Anyone here in a union?
        thought not.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          or in a union willing to take it on.
          Anyone here in a union?
          thought not.
          I am! Community are moving into self employed people.

Anyone forced to go through an Umbrella would be covered by them.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Not that I think it will do them any good but I imagine someone will.
            IPSE is (was?) currently supporting such a case. Someone else with nothing to lose and is suitably motivated, could very well do likewise There are still some who believe in following a principle, whatever the cost or outcome. Remember the rallying call of the colonials "no taxation without representation" and the resultant War of Independence. I guess they might not have forecast the results of their actions.

However, I'm beginning to suspect that there are political machinations afoot in both the IPSE and Alcock cases.

Comment

that's interesting news.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                if there's no budget taxation doesn't just cease. It will continue. And spending will just continue.
                IR35 legislation could potentially be a bill on its own, as long as it wasn't brought in by the government.
                Er, no.

A Finance Act does not provide the Gov't with the authority to borrow, but it does provide the authority to tax, in particular on taxes that are renewed annually, as well as the provisional authority to tax on any measures introduced within a particular Finance Bill (which must be passed within 5 months IIRC, otherwise the provisional authority is lost and the taxes must be refunded). There are many important taxes that are renewed annually, like income tax and corporation tax. VAT and excise duties can continue though.

Bottom line, without a budget and a FB progressing to an FA.... absolute chaos.

Comment

But surely if you are via a brolly you are technically employed?

Just thinking about who they cover and then looking at their website I am struggling to believe how this will be of any use. I can't believe it will do anything close to what a 'proper' union would do.

I can't see them helping you through expensive or complex court cases or anything.

Happy to be proven wrong.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But surely if you are via a brolly you are technically employed?

Just thinking about who they cover and then looking at their website I am struggling to believe how this will be of any use. I can't believe it will do anything close to what a 'proper' union would do.

I can't see them helping you through expensive or complex court cases or anything.

Happy to be proven wrong.
                    oak trees grow from acorns and I guess the Tolpuddle Martyrs would now be amazed at what their protest has ultimately achieved.

Comment

Thinking this through - I wonder if what clients might do is set up some sort of liability with contractors, so that if you get marked out of IR35 and later found to be in, client will collect the funds (insured) from you? Could be the answer to this whole thing...
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X