Disagreeing with client IR35 determination Disagreeing with client IR35 determination
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Disagreeing with client IR35 determination

    possibly nothing new and this (like everything) should be taken with a pinch of salt but I had a meeting with my MP last week about IR35, and as a follow up she sent me some stuff she had received from the treasury.

    The big thing I noticed was that having the opportunity to disagree with a clients determination and put forward your argument why is going to be made law.

    However, the client will still, obviously, have the final say.

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    b0redom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    I predict this will never, ever be used.

    "I disagree and I think I'm outside IR35 because....."
    "Stop right there. Don't let the door hit you on the way out....."
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    I predict this will never, ever be used.

    "I disagree and I think I'm outside IR35 because....."
    "Stop right there. Don't let the door hit you on the way out....."
    they might sit up and take notice of an ET.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    they might sit up and take notice of an ET.
    Really? Every contractor disagreeing with the clients decision is going to go to ET.

    Jog on.

    I thought you'd dropped this tupe of advice for a bit?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16th September 2019 at 10:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Um, yeah, it's in the draft legislation. Completely worthless. The draft legislation also requires that reasons for the decision are given alongside the SDS.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PhiltheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Balmoral
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    As a casual observer, what's the status with the draft legislation given the current logjam in Westminster?

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Really? Every contractor disagreeing with the clients decision is going to go to ET.

    Jog on.

    I thought you'd dropped this tupe of advice for a bit?
    Every contractor disagreeing with the clients decision is going to go to ET.
    I didn't say that did I?

    It will only take a few contractor successes in the ET to have some influence on the environment, whether positive or negative.

    I thought you'd dropped this tupe of advice for a bit?
    It's not advice, it's just an opinion.

    The Alcock case and the case that IPSE is supporting might bring some clarity. However, they both seem to have gone very quiet.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    As a casual observer, what's the status with the draft legislation given the current logjam in Westminster?
    Not being worked on.

    Awaiting a Finance Bill, which is awaiting a budget, which might otherwise have been expected around November. Now? Who knows.

  9. #9

    Godlike

    ChimpMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    5,528

    Default

    It's a valid question though. An inside-IR35 classification impacts the entire contract, all the more pertinent if you are on a long contract that crosses past the April payment threshold. This could be worse than the Loan Charge for some people!

    Imagine if you have all the evidence to prove that you are outside IR35. You have the contract reviews, the QDOS insurance, the substitutions already effected, the freedom to work when and where you like etc. But the client doesn't care for any of that. You face a particularly obstinate and ignorant client that simply wishes to judge you within IR35 for their own peace of mind.

    How would you argue that? To whom would you put forward your argument?

  10. #10

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Not being worked on.

    Awaiting a Finance Bill, which is awaiting a budget, which might otherwise have been expected around November. Now? Who knows.
    I expect it to go through but the way Westminster is at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if it got delayed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •