• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC presenters lose IR35 appeal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    That is incorrect.

H M Commissioners of Revenue and Customs are a body appointed to run the tax assessing and collection in the UK.

Many years ago there was a body called the General Commissioners who were persons of character and probity from the local community who could be brought together to hear disputes between HMRC and taxpayers and bring independence and common sense to the party.

Where the dispute could not be settled there or involved matters of law the Special Commissioners could be called upon. These were usually people with some legal/tax training.

That system was swept away.

Now, if you cannot agree a position with HMRC, you can go to the First Tier Tribunal which is staffed by Judges and aides and have your case heard. Still independent but now with legal knowledge.

If you cannot agree at that level, you go to the Upper Tier Tribunal.
    OK, so a little poetic licence then!

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      No, she did not.

There never was a case.

It was settled out of Court.

Nobody knows why the settlement was made.

We can speculate and guess, but never know.

She did not win because there was no contest.
      Ok, I will concede the legalese honours.

But if not called 'a case' then a case by any other name... Fairly sure it started out being called a case. What was it called by the end?

As for the 'speculation', go figure, and an intelligent person will arrive at the same conclusion.

As above, legalise notwithstanding.
      Last edited by simes; 19 September 2019, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Ok, I will concede the legalise honours.

But if not called 'a case' then a case by any other name... Fairly sure it started out being called a case. What was it called by the end?

As for the 'speculation', go figure, and an intelligent person will arrive at the same conclusion.

As above, legalise notwithstanding.
        An out of court settlement with no admission of liability
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          An out of court settlement with mo admission of liability
          I guess there will be a few more. HMRC cannot risk such cases getting an airing and a judgement in court.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            An out of court settlement with mo admission of liability
            In lay-man terms, I'd call that a win.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              I guess there will be a few more. HMRC cannot risk such cases getting an airing and a judgement in court.
              It's not just HMRC. I believe a vast majority of disputes end in settlements and don't see court. Its part of the standard process.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Indeed but it doesn't prove a precedent or can factor in case law which is where Simes was going. So you are right but not in the context it was brought up in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Quite.

I daresay comments above and below will be concentrating again on the legalese, but be the decision in or out of court, there IS precedent - even if it is not written up in a book.

Comment

Quite.

I daresay comments above and below will be concentrating again on the legalese, but be the decision in or out of court, there IS precedent - even if it is not written up in a book.
                    No there isn't.

Comment

Quite.

Precedent is a legal term with precise meaning. If you want to argue this you'd better use a different word.

Comment

Working...
                      X