• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC presenters lose IR35 appeal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    Quite.

I daresay comments above and below will be concentrating again on the legalese, but be the decision in or out of court, there IS precedent - even if it is not written up in a book.
    the point is that actions like this should and dare I say must now ramp up. Even if the disputes are settled out of court, an increase in the numbers using this route should be a salutary lesson to the clients. HMRC will not be bothered as they will claim that everyone is complying. They are not interested in the economical damage that IR35 will create.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      the point is that actions like this should and dare I say must now ramp up. Even if the disputes are settled out of court, an increase in the numbers using this route should be a salutary lesson to the clients. HMRC will not be bothered as they will claim that everyone is complying. They are not interested in the economical damage that IR35 will create.
      Laying aside problems with time limits; Government policy; the law; damage to contractor/end client relationships, chasing this rainbow will not find a pot of gold.

If I were advising a large end client in the tax issues around this (and for a period that is what I did) then I'd be saying.

1. Always act within the law.
      2. Always act in in the interests of shareholders.
      3. If there is a verifiable pattern of sub judice claims and settlements, change the manner of engagement for all similar workers
      4. Always comply with HMRC requests to their full legal extent (and perhaps a bit beyond)

This caps the possible risks from past actions - a risk that reduces as time limits expire - and prevents new claims arising.

Given the risk appetite of the banking industry in the last 10 years and probably the next 10, I'd be advising them to be placing all but the 95%+ "outside IR35" workers, as inside IR35 and instructing my budget holders accordingly.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        Laying aside problems with time limits; Government policy; the law; damage to contractor/end client relationships, chasing this rainbow will not find a pot of gold.

If I were advising a large end client in the tax issues around this (and for a period that is what I did) then I'd be saying.

3. If there is a verifiable pattern of sub judice claims and settlements, change the manner of engagement for all similar workers
        4. Always comply with HMRC requests to their full legal extent (and perhaps a bit beyond)

This caps the possible risks from past actions - a risk that reduces as time limits expire - and prevents new claims arising.

Given the risk appetite of the banking industry in the last 10 years and probably the next 10, I'd be advising them to be placing all but the 95%+ "outside IR35" workers, as inside IR35 and instructing my budget holders accordingly.
        ^^Spot on.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you. But ramping up such actions that we are discussing, might just ensure that client do abide by the law, i.e. they make accurate and individual determinations, as is required by the legislation.

Comment

People on this forum often say that it’s much more difficult/almost impossible for HMRC to get the £ if it’s not in the company account because IR35 is the company’s liability. And that it can only be taken from the individual if they have been careless/knowingly evaded tax.

Judges said that they weren’t careless.

Surely these BBC presenters (and most contractors) won’t have kept massive warchests in their company. So why is it now so easy for HMRC to get the £300k+ from them?

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you. But ramping up such actions that we are discussing, might just ensure that client do abide by the law, i.e. they make accurate and individual determinations, as is required by the legislation.
              The highlighted part makes me laugh. That's just the token cover your backside part of the legislation, just like having an appeals process which I fully expect no contractor will ever win.

Sadly this is nothing to do with abiding by the law and we all know it. This is purely political and to do with maximising tax revenue for a specific group of people that successive governments have painted as a particular tax avoiding bogeyman.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                The highlighted part makes me laugh. That's just the token cover your backside part of the legislation, just like having an appeals process which I fully expect no contractor will ever win.

Sadly this is nothing to do with abiding by the law and we all know it. This is purely political and to do with maximising tax revenue for a specific group of people that successive governments have painted as a particular tax avoiding bogeyman.
                agreed, so we must employ any approach to counter this. However, there are many on here who frown on such action and opinion. Perhaps they are HMRC moles?

Comment

I'm not sure what ghosts in the machine or conspiracy theories are being suggested here, but in my experience working in and advising big corporates, they ALWAYS obey the law where the issues could be business threatening.

They will no doubt have one eye on the drift of decisions but unless there is a case with judicial weight, it will be ignored.

"Ramping up" such actions will simply identify a group of contractors who are frankly too difficult to hire.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I'm not sure what ghosts in the machine or conspiracy theories are being suggested here, but in my experience working in and advising big corporates, they ALWAYS obey the law where the issues could be business threatening.

They will no doubt have one eye on the drift of decisions but unless there is a case with judicial weight, it will be ignored.

"Ramping up" such actions will simply identify a group of contractors who are frankly too difficult to hire.
                    they ALWAYS obey the law
                    obeying the law in these circumstances means that they ensure that due diligence is undertaken and that the contracts of individuals are assessed correctly. The evidence so far is that this is not happening. Blanket assessments are the norm.

Faced with this situation, those affected should use whatever legal means they can, to clarify their position.
                    Last edited by JohntheBike; 20 September 2019, 12:23. Reason: added opinion

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      Precedent is a legal term with precise meaning. If you want to argue this you'd better use a different word.
                      Legal Precedent is a legal term.

Precedent, all on its own is 'an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.' No mention of legality or legalese.

Please, let's just pretend that you understand what the main thrust of this point is all about and try to resist scoring points.

Or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X