• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 when it is public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    You might be onto something here. Hector would probably die of boredom before completing his investigation. The inspector in charge would be writing his superior saying, 'Whatever we think he owes, it isn't worth it. He thinks Extra Terrestrials or something are going to come and carry him away out of our grasp. Let's wait until he kicks off and see what we can get from his estate.'
    The inspector in charge would be writing his superior saying, 'Whatever we think he owes, it isn't worth it.
    at last someone has grasped what I've been saying. If you cause enough trouble for an inspector and the system, HMRC are likely to back off. That's the approach I adopted.

Let's wait until he kicks off and see what we can get from his estate.
    my estate won't be subject to death duties or capital gains tax. Talk to your solicitor if yours will be.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Using the technicalities of the rules you'd be right. In reality length of time brings with it apathy and part and parcel comes in to play. You've got to have dotted every single i and t for that entire period. Slight lapses will occur and also the clients view on you will change which you can do nothing about.
      IMO the fact you've been doing a BAU role longer than most permies should be a factor and I believe a bit of common sense would back that up. 14 years is extraordinary and could easily test any existing thoughts on time as a factor.
      Remember, one of the only cases HMRC have won (or split as it was) had time as a major factor. JLJ lost his case on the fact he'd been there a long time and slipped in to bad ways. If he hadn't been there as long he wouldn't have lost. That, to me, says that time IS a factor.

Just quoting the rules say time doesn't have a bearing, particularly with that length, is a very naive view.

Remember, QDOS have a clause that says they won't cover a role they can't win (or something along those lines. Will QDOS really want to be taking on a case with that length of time that has never been tested bearing in mind the costs they'll rack up if you lose?
      Out of interest, what level is your insurance at? If you lose what will they cover? I really don't think the basic 50k is going to cover your situation so I wouldn't be sitting quite so comfortably as you appear to be doing so.

It might be but it's pretty irrelevant as evidence goes.

Yes, because you butted into a question about public sector with

Which is totally irrelevant as you aren't in the PS.
      I wouldn't be sitting quite so comfortably as you appear to be doing so.
      I've never claimed to be sitting comfortably. I believe I've done as much as I can, and more than most, to prepare myself for a challenge by HMRC.

Another poster here has hit the nail on the head. If you cause HMRC as much trouble as possible, then they are likely to conclude that the potential tax grab isn't worth the effort.

I've never earned the high daily rates that some quote here and I've always paid a reasonable salary and dividends. Now, with the advent of the dividend tax, I've calculated the difference in nett remuneration, if I were to be classed subject to the new rules, wouldn't be as great as many on here fear for themselves.

IPSE always claimed that hundreds of members were able to ward off HMRC by using the tax investigation insurance that members enjoyed. I would guess that many of them would have enjoyed much higher rates than I have, but even so, HMRC clearly backed off.

Life is full of risks and issues. HMRC is one of those, but I've survived the death of my son and one of my grandsons. So I'll just have to tackle HMRC when or if I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

Another poster here has hit the nail on the head. If you cause HMRC as much trouble as possible, then they are likely to conclude that the potential tax grab isn't worth the effort.
        That is wholly unrealistic and inaccurate and i would urge all those reading to ignore it.

The taxpayer in the case below makes the "preparations" discussed above seem kindergarten material yet HMRC pursued, issued demands and won in Tribunal.

Jasson v Revenue & Customs (PROCEDURE : application to strike out appeals on basis of absence of jurisdiction) [2019] UKFTT 599 (TC) (24 September 2019)
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

If you cause enough trouble for an inspector and the system, HMRC are likely to back off.
          I don't think I'd count on extreme boredom, induced by endless blathering about ETs, as an effective defence, but to each his own.

Comment

I don't think I'd count on extreme boredom, induced by endless blathering about ETs, as an effective defence, but to each his own.
            actually, I was referring to making sure that every communication from HMRC is in writing and if there is anything incorrect in those communications, then you challenge HMRC over the incorrect details and initially avoid addressing the questions in such communications. HMRC continually got MyCo's name wrong when investigating my expenses claims and I pulled them up about it to the point where I made an official complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Rumour (from my accountant) has it that the inspector dealing with my case was reprimanded and his career suffered. This is the sort of action I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              That is wholly unrealistic and inaccurate and i would urge all those reading to ignore it.

The taxpayer in the case below makes the "preparations" discussed above seem kindergarten material yet HMRC pursued, issued demands and won in Tribunal.

Jasson v Revenue & Customs (PROCEDURE : application to strike out appeals on basis of absence of jurisdiction) [2019] UKFTT 599 (TC) (24 September 2019)
              see my other post.There are ways and means of legally combating HMRC's conduct.

Comment

actually, I was referring to (stuff)
                That may have been to what YOU were referring, but it isn't what I had in mind.

Comment

That may have been to what YOU were referring, but it isn't what I had in mind.
                  well, as you mentioned the ET, the inspector was apprehensive because I indicated to them that if I won at the ET, then all the taxes that MyCo had paid would be claimed back and that they's have to go after the client for the PAYE taxes.

And just for the record, they tried to intimidate me by slapping a tax bill for expenses greater than the expenses I'd claimed for. I wasn't putting up with that bullying, so I retaliated of course. Remember, all aspects of the establishment are against the people. Unless you resist, you will suffer in the long term.

Comment

well, as you mentioned the ET, the inspector was apprehensive because I indicated to them that if I won at the ET, then all the taxes that MyCo had paid would be claimed back and that they's have to go after the client for the PAYE taxes.

And just for the record, they tried to intimidate me by slapping a tax bill for expenses greater than the expenses I'd claimed for. I wasn't putting up with that bullying, so I retaliated of course. Remember, all aspects of the establishment are against the people. Unless you resist, you will suffer in the long term.
                    You do talk some rubbish.

And all this talk of doing this by mail to frustrate HMRC. They are masters of this so won't make one iota of difference.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

see my other post.There are ways and means of legally combating HMRC's conduct.
                      HMRC (and its predecessors) have had over 100 years of dealing with taxpayers who are deliberately evasive, obstructive, pedantic over details, claim political conscience prevents them paying tax, disagree with tax policy etc. See the case I highlighted. The gentlemen there had some moral truth behind his points, if very little legislative force.

I would be amazed if any professional adviser suggested that a campaign such as you suggest is an effective way of making HMRC back off when they have valid grounds for enquiry.

(After saying that the last few years has demonstrated to me that many advisers, belonging to professional bodies or otherwise, are prepared to go dangerously close - in my opinion - to the line between legitimate planning and abusive avoidance.)
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X