• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 when it is public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 when it is public sector

Not done a public sector client yet so I assume this will be the same for all post April 2020. I have a possible opportunity where the end client is a public sector client.

My PSC >> Agent >> Consultancy >> Public Sector

The agent have told me that the contract is outside, anything I should be worried about beyond accepting that I get the full invoice amount? My understanding is my IR35 liability is zero as the end client is a public sector. Seems a little to good to be true with all the noise in the private sector.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

The usual applies - get the contract checked out by QDOS/B&C.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      The usual applies - get the contract checked out by QDOS/B&C.
      Why?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Why?
        Contract reviews are just good practice although, for the OP, this would be for commercial terms; there wouldn't be a liability w/r to IR35 if the PS client has declared the contract outside (which is probably what you're alluding to).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Contract reviews are just good practice although, for the OP, this would be for commercial terms; there wouldn't be a liability w/r to IR35 if the PS client has declared the contract outside (which is probably what you're alluding to).
          yes, that's my understanding as well. If the Public Sector client has deemed the role to be outside ir35, then you are OK

PS: does your accountancy package include free ir35 contract reviews? If so, might be worth taking advantage of that
          Last edited by PCTNN; 26 September 2019, 08:58.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            yes, that's my understanding as well. If the Public Sector client has deemed the role to be outside ir35, then you are OK
            Ah, I see your point.

*suck teeth at the implications for the IR35 insurance industry...*
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Surely you need to get the client determination in writing rather than rely on the word of an agency
              Last edited by fidot; 26 September 2019, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                Surely you need to get the client determinationinariting rather than rely on the word of an agency
                This is what I'm trying to figure out. Can i turn around to Mr Tax man and say look the end client is public sector I don't care about the ir35 status go ask them? Why do i need a determination if there is no liability with my PSC? As long as i get the full invoiced amount, do i care?

When we talk about the three pillars of ir35 defence is having a public sector client as good a defence as having used a substitute? I will probably have a chat with the tax help line if i get the role and report back here.
                Last edited by BlueSharp; 27 September 2019, 10:12.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I would still want the paperwork. What if client change their mind when HMRC ask a number of years later?

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    I would still want the paperwork. What if client change their mind when HMRC ask a number of years later?
                    That was my thought fidot.

Comment

Working...
                    X