• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 reforms prompt Barclays to re-engage contractors on PAYE terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 reforms prompt Barclays to re-engage contractors on PAYE terms

Barclays are the third, I think, big bank to show their hand on IR35. They want all contractors to go PAYE. Is that just because they can't be bothered with the hassle of doing case-by-case IR35 determinations?

IR35 reforms will prompt Barclays to re-engage contractors on PAYE terms, 'leaked email' suggests

Wow - breaking news

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Barclays have been treating contractors appallingly for years, I don't know why anyone would work there.

I have a nasty feeling though that all the banks have got together in the hope of leaving nowhere for anyone to run.

Can't help wondering how many people will now not be able to pay their mortgages/private school fees etc. Good going Conservatives, going to pin this on Brexit?

Comment

KUATB from yesterday....

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ry-2020-a.html
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          I have a nasty feeling though that all the banks have got together in the hope of leaving nowhere for anyone to run.
          Or even, deep breath, the banks are putting these communiques out to demonstrate to the HMRC that if the UK's contractors all become PAYE, the tax income will actually drop. And irreversibly kill the flexible market.

(While at the same time protecting their obligations and interests.)

(I really don't think the banks are thinking like that, but the net result will be the same. Just depends on if the HMRC are listening / reading / thinking / planning ahead)

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            Or even, deep breath, the banks are putting these communiques out to demonstrate to the HMRC that if the UK's contractors all become PAYE, the tax income will actually drop. And irreversibly kill the flexible market.

(While at the same time protecting their obligations and interests.)

(I really don't think the banks are thinking like that, but the net result will be the same. Just depends on if the HMRC are listening / reading / thinking / planning ahead)
            Nope. HMRC will see it as ringing endorsement of their opinion that all contractors are tax dodging scum and are finally being brought to heel. HMRC does not support small business enterprise no matter what the government of the day says.

What will happen is that all contractors who worked at those banks will have retrospective investigations. Hope your insurances are all up to date!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Nope. HMRC will see it as ringing endorsement of their opinion that all contractors are tax dodging scum and are finally being brought to heel. HMRC does not support small business enterprise no matter what the government of the day says.

What will happen is that all contractors who worked at those banks will have retrospective investigations. Hope your insurances are all up to date!
              Yuuup!

Mine was just wish fulfilment. The retrospective bit I am too in fear of.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                Barclays have been treating contractors appallingly for years, I don't know why anyone would work there.

Can't help wondering how many people will now not be able to pay their mortgages/private school fees etc. Good going Conservatives, going to pin this on Brexit?

More likely firms like Resource Solutions who have internal units in these places. Most of my London contracts have been through Resource Solutions, indeed two of them at Barclays. They'll be recommending this course of action to their clients. Can't see me contracting in London banking ever again unless IR35 gets abolished. The Revenue have killed the market, if not the countries flexible workforce and at a time when it's most needed. Congratulations.

Comment

I wonder if they will treat their new people as badly as their contractors? Yearly rate cuts, long furlough and mass culls.

Will raise a whole set of different questions of whether they can do this and open themselves to legal action.

That said its only the way we are paid so my guess is they won't treat us any different.

Inside and treated just as badly.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 2 October 2019, 09:36.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I wonder if they will treat their new people as badly as their contractors? Yearly rate cuts, long furlough and mass culls.

Will raise a whole set of different questions of whether they can do this and open themselves to legal action.

That said its only the way we are paid so my guess is they won't treat us any different.

Inside and treated just as badly.
                    They do this with the JLR factory workers down the road. Permiedom will be seen as the premium option v's the marginal increase in take home pay a worker will get.

JTB - we know.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X