IR35 and moving to fixed deliverable IR35 and moving to fixed deliverable - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maslins View Post
    That was cojak's prediction, don't blame me

    Re the OP, fixed deliverable for fixed price should lead to a crystal clear outside IR35 IMHO. Obviously the tricky bit is getting nailed down exactly what is/isn't included, minimising risk of scope creep or fall out further down the line if your/their expectations turn out to be different.
    yeah i'm down with that, but will that make the previous time spent working on the project as a ltd co contractor who has been deemed inside IR35 by the client a red flag?

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancerkris View Post
    yeah i'm down with that, but will that make the previous time spent working on the project as a ltd co contractor who has been deemed inside IR35 by the client a red flag?
    Depends. Can you really get to that before Jan Feb next year? at which point you could appear on HMRCs list? You sure you aren't on it already (like the GSK guys)?

    If you can drop off the list of determinations as soon as possible they yes you might not get noticed and risk is reduced but if the client does deem the role inside when you were doing it outside then there is still a case for HMRC to look at. All you are asking is, can I avoid being on an easy hit list. I'm not sure but possibly yes.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Depends. Can you really get to that before Jan Feb next year? at which point you could appear on HMRCs list? You sure you aren't on it already (like the GSK guys)?

    If you can drop off the list of determinations as soon as possible they yes you might not get noticed and risk is reduced but if the client does deem the role inside when you were doing it outside then there is still a case for HMRC to look at. All you are asking is, can I avoid being on an easy hit list. I'm not sure but possibly yes.
    I may obviously be wrong, but I feel confident enough to say that the the only way i'm going to be determined as inside is if they take a blanket approach, and if that does happen I also feel confident enough to say that the determination is wrong.

    I'm honestly not trying to play games, not trying to avoid getting "noticed" or anything like that as I honestly don't think any of that applies.

    I guess what I am asking is, is there a way I can finish this current project in as much a risk-free way as possible, and if that answer is No (which after this great discussion is looking like it will be the case) then the only answer is to walk.

    Looking back, what I should have done is look at way of making this a fixed bill piece of work from the get-go, but i'll just call that a learning experience

  4. #14

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancerkris View Post
    I may obviously be wrong, but I feel confident enough to say that the the only way i'm going to be determined as inside is if they take a blanket approach, and if that does happen I also feel confident enough to say that the determination is wrong.

    I'm honestly not trying to play games, not trying to avoid getting "noticed" or anything like that as I honestly don't think any of that applies.

    I guess what I am asking is, is there a way I can finish this current project in as much a risk-free way as possible, and if that answer is No (which after this great discussion is looking like it will be the case) then the only answer is to walk.

    Looking back, what I should have done is look at way of making this a fixed bill piece of work from the get-go, but i'll just call that a learning experience
    Yeah I get what you are saying but a massive consideration for you at the moment is the risk of an investigation. You can't change what you've already done so there isn't much you can do historically. It is what it is. Will you win a case if you are investigated? Who knows? Probably if you are as confident as you say but, IMO, that is not your priority now. It's to plan what to do next with minimal risk.

    Worst case is to plod on inside. HMRC could know what you are now as per the GSK letters and they will get a list of determinations at some point to comparing the two roles. Contractor says outside, client says inside all along. HMRC will be licking their lips. You might win, and I'm absolutely sure cases will be brought quickly and it's going to be a mix of wins and loses. Even HMRC can't continue to get it wrong forever. Being investigated and winning will still be a horrible place to be.

    By taking the right actions before it happens you don't appear on these lists and your chance of investigation is greatly reduced. Risk mitigated quite considerably. Problem is we don't know exactly how this works or how HMRC will be investigated. Being outside and HMRC having no determination to compare against us your best bet. They'll have 1000's to look at.

    So, I think it very strongly applies. I think Cojaks sticky eludes to exactly this and is going to need a lot of hard thinking and proactive decision making to get it right.

    I don't think you need to see it as a lesson that you didn't go fixed price. The opportunity for us to do this is next to zero and, although I don't have enough information, I would have thought it would be very difficult for you to have done so. If they wanted a contractor on a chair then that's all they'd accept, particularly in a large org so you probably played it the only way you could.

    If you can trun it in to a fixed price piece of work then happy days and well done. Virtually no one will be able to do this. Do it before a determination and you've mitigated the risk as far as you can next to leaving.

    If you have a foot in the door with fixed price work when the other guys start leaving you could hover up a lot of work!!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2nd October 2019 at 16:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #15

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancerkris View Post
    I guess what I am asking is, is there a way I can finish this current project in as much a risk-free way as possible, and if that answer is No (which after this great discussion is looking like it will be the case) then the only answer is to walk.
    No way I'd do that without trying. Action plan:

    1. Right now, ask if they intend to make an IR35 determination before 31/12.
    A. If so, ask them to consult with you beforehand because you will have to walk away if they do an inside determination and you have some ideas to deal with it you'd like to discuss with them. That idea consists of moving to fixed cost in exchange for the outside determination. If they won't hold off until 31/12, and won't work with you, walk now.
    B. If they aren't making a determination before 31/12, hold fire until renewal time.

    2. At renewal time, tell them you need either an outside determination, move to fixed cost and the obvious outside determination that comes with it, or a two month renewal -- you can't accept an inside determination.
    A. If they give you the outside determination, everything is cool.
    B. If you move to fixed cost and outside, everything is cool.
    C. Otherwise, you could work a couple months to do a handover, as long as they don't make an inside determination during that time. They don't have to make a determination since the contract ends before April.

    There's still a slim chance this whole stupidity dies in the next budget.

  6. #16

    Super poster

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancerkris View Post
    The project is just me, nobody else involved except for a permi manager I have status update reports with.

    What is the current forecast end date of the project? Way beyond next April?

    Is there scope to reduce that so it finishes before next April as another option to present to the client if those you deal with have their hands tied into deeming you inside via blanket determination?

    If the nature of the project allows a shorter timescale to completion by working longer hours* or descoping some of the 'nice to haves' into a separate phase it allows you to get the job done, leave the client on good terms, avoid issues with contract crossing from outside to inside, with a further phase potentially available if client realise blanket determinations are going to cause them too much pain so take a more considered approach of blanketing the obvious BAU contractors but individually determining cases like yours.

    * Ensure the longer hours are catered for in the contract terms if on a day rate so you get rewarded appropriately. e.g. agree with client to charge more than 5 or even 7 days per week via the timesheet to cover those extra hours.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  7. #17

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Client has nothing to do with retrospective investigations. It's up to you to determine your status so its you v hmrc. Client may be asked for evidence.
    At the risk of being shot down for asking, if the client does do an 'inside' determination at any time from now until April, doesn't he have to inform his IR35 insurers, who then may decide, that makes his case too difficult to defend in the event of a HMRC investigation ?

  8. #18

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jk3838 View Post
    At the risk of being shot down for asking, if the client does do an 'inside' determination at any time from now until April, doesn't he have to inform his IR35 insurers, who then may decide, that makes his case too difficult to defend in the event of a HMRC investigation ?
    You should be striaght on the phone as its a change in circumstance just like any insurance.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #19

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancerkris View Post
    yes, massive and global, which is why I think they are waiting for the head office (not UK based) to make a decision
    I'm late to this, but the above is a red flag for me. I once worked a a massive global company headquartered in the US and they had scant knowledge, nor care, about UK tax laws in any decisions they made and the potential impact on staff.

    What size is the UK operation. I thought the mothership would defer to legal on these shores.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 3rd October 2019 at 18:52.

  10. #20

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    What size is the UK operation. I thought the mothership would defer to legal on these shores.
    Good point. The OP has a hunch that HQ is dealing with IR35 but that may be incorrect if its seen as a local issue. We don't know anything about the supply chain here either. Invoices paid from UK or elsewhere? Agency?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •