• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steps for volunterily moving to 'Inside' IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate for a while.

If I was HMRC and I saw that level of expense - every month - I'd send you a letter along the lines of:

"It seems to me that you are travelling to and from a place of work, rather than travelling in the performance of your work. Would you like to explain why that is incorrect?"

Clearly if I was HMRC, I'd be couching that as:

"You are clearly travelling to and from work which is not a deductible expense. I will raise an assessment on you to reflect this decision, along with penalties. You can save yourself the time and expense of an enquiry by just agreeing with me."

In all seriousness however, you need to be building a deep and continuous audit trail of why you are travelling FOR work, rather than TO work.
    You would then point them to what is tax deductable by their own rules - which is travel from your office / home office to where the client requires you to be.

Comment

The biggest change for me I think is that if I have a contract deemed inside - then all income go through me, whereas at the moment as my wife doesn't work I can utilise her tax allowances.

I currently take all the money ( apart from tax obviously ) out of the company each month via salary, dividends, a small amount of expenses and a workplace pension.
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
      X